Drive issue with 1028 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #1

Default Drive issue with 1028

Hi all. I believe my 1028 is about a 1996. The engine runs very well and the auger drives strong and hurls snow a good distance.

I'm having an issue with the forward & reverse drive however. When I shift into a gear and engage the drive, sometimes it goes right along - other times it does nothing at all. Often times, if I lean into it with my hip and help it ...it will go. Occasionally, after driving right along, it just stops driving. Reverse makes is shudder noticeably. As well, neither the 1st or 2nd "reverse" gears make the machine move quickly at all. (I used to have a similar aged 824 and when I popped that thing in 2nd reverse gear, it hauled butt!).

I see that the drive chain (my term, not sure that's what Toro calls it) has a lot of play in it. Both the primary drive sprocket and the one on the wheel axle look good; no noticeable wear.

If you have any guidance on my "drive" issue, I'd love to hear it. I'm about to start taking off the lower rear red cover of the whole drive assemble box (another term I made up) to see what's what.

Thank you!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #2

who makes this 1028
1-toro 521E-38052 . 2-toro 521r -38052
1-toro 826E-38150 . 1- powerliteE-38175
1-............, TORO XL 824..............
william
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
who makes this 1028
Just a guess here. This is the Toro forum.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

If it has one check the friction wheel. normal symptoms of it needing replacement. unless you have a transmission
Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #5

Hah (stupid me). Yes, I assumed since I was in the "Toro forum" that that was implied :-). It is a Toro PowerShift 1028.

I assume I don't have a transmission (?) since there's no clutching? Just moving that shift lever from neutral over to the left for forward and/or reverse gears :-). I'll check the friction wheel.

Does anyone have a manual for this beast? The one on the main page of the Toro forum looks like it is quite general (Two stage snowblowers) and not about the PowerShift...

Thanks all!!!!

Jay
Old 12-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure I don't have a friction wheel. Coming off the engine is a "primary drive" (my term) pulley that both the "drive belt" and "auger belt" are driven off of. It's weird, when I took that black plastic cover off to expose these belts/drive pulley that I notice the actual "drive" belt was constantly ..."ON". The "secondary" pulley that the belt drives is constantly spinning - even at idle without the drive actually being engaged.

I will check the spring the returns the pulley wheel (that is to engage the drive belt) but it seems to work. It does return the pulley wheel, but, maybe not as far as it's supposed to.

Any thoughts/guidance are appreciated. Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out why the overall drive ability is only semi reliable. Sometimes is drives fine, and then it just stops driving. If a give it a shove with my hip, it starts driving again.

Maybe the drive belt is worn...?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

No friction wheel. Trying a new belt - hope it works.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #8

You would not see the friction disc by taking off the top plastic cover. Flip the machine up on the front of the housing and then remove the metal cover on the bottom. About a one ft sq piece of metal. I think I there you will find a fiction disc.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

I stand corrected, you do have an actual geared trans. see the link below. So replace the belt and hopefully all will be well. If not, just buy a new trans, only 982 bucks
Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #10

All toro powershifts have a transmission in them. Because of the design a fiction disc would not work. Enter the model number on the toro site you can down load the service manual for free. Check the belt for wear the chain slap is 1/8 to 3/8.let me know if you need more help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement