Troy-Bilt/Yard Machines and Powermore/Chinese engines. NEVER AGAIN - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 04-19-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 2
Troy-Bilt/Yard Machines and Powermore/Chinese engines. NEVER AGAIN

Troy-Bilt Storm 2410 Chinese engine and Yard Machines walk-behind with same Chinese engine.

It will not start. I did what the manual told me to do: drain gas during storage and use fresh fuel the next season. Troy-Bilt insisted that the engine problems are my fault so they wont' do warranty work. They didn't ask questions and made the assumption I used ethanol fuel (Idiots at Troy-Bilt put a sign on the gas cap stating it is OK to use E-10). I have proof that the Mobil gas station I go to does not accept fuel with ethanol in it. I had to pay $40 for a new carburetor. Troy-Bilt is a junk company. Consumer Reports magazine named them the most problematic.

Same problem with my one-year-old Yard Machines mower with a Chinese engine. I drained the fuel during storage and put in fresh gas when it was time to start. Engine ran very poorly and eventually did not start. They refused to fix the problem stating that it was my fault for negligence.

Troy-Bilt and Yard Machines warranty is a scam.

No Chinese engines anymore and no more MTD products. Now I'm hearing Chinese-made Briggs & Stratton engines and Kohler engines are junk, too.

Remember when America used to make very reliable small engines regardless of the quality of fuel and when you never did any maintenance??!?! I miss those days! All of you on here who bought a newer MTD product have been scammed.

Troy-Bilt 2410 with weak Chinese-made 179cc engine. Currently high on Sta-Bil. I couldn't afford an Ariens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 330
Most small engines are made in China this days (if I am not mistaken even most Ariens have Chinese engines).
You may have to get a different product with a US made engine, or a Honda.
It is odd that it would had happenned to both of them though.

I think that perhaps most manufacturers would not cover carburetor clean up (or replacement) if it is caused by ethanol (that is what I was told when I purchased my Stihl chainsaw and backpack blower).
post #3 of 48 Old 04-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 2530
Likes (Received): 859
It's a bit much to condemn an entire manufacturer and country for one machines problem(s).
My poorly maintained, hand me down 2008 2410 starts easy, runs well and hasn't let me down once.
It does have the common problem of being too lean and surging when not eating snow. That said just because mine runs good doesn't make me want to say it's the best just like having one machine with a problem shouldn't condemn the manufacturer or product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Troybilt 2410 2008.jpg (50.3 KB, 50 views)

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128, detdrbuzzard, bwdbrn1 liked this post
post #4 of 48 Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 13
Mechanic in a bottle works pretty good without taking off the carb. Try it if it happens again
post #5 of 48 Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 42
I'd like to preface this post by stating that I used to work as a tech for a small engine shop that did a ton of warranty work for MTD and Craftsman. I've probably worked on more outdoor power equipment than 95% of the people on this forum. I've worked on hundreds of small engines from Briggs & Stratton, Tecumseh, Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki, and various Chinese Honda clones. I'm not saying this to seem arrogant, simply to state that I have a much larger sample size to go by when looking for things like pattern failures.

Those Chinese Powermore engines are great. They're far quieter, more efficient, start easier, run better and are more reliable than those old Tecumsehs ever were. The single biggest problem with any small engine today is the fuel. Even the ethanol free gas just isn't the same as gas used to be. Put current gas in one of those old, reliable, American engines and it'll act just as bad (and usually worse) than one of those Chinese engines.

Now that said MTD does have a horrible warranty, but the problems you're having aren't normally covered by anyone's warranty. It's not a manufacturer's defect, so it really doesn't fall under the warranty. If you want my honest opinion of the best way to prevent this from happening in the future do this: When it gets near the end of the season starting adding fuel stabilizer to the jerry can when you buy gas. After the last use of the season put the machine away with a full tank. If you drain the tank it just seems to make the carb corrode and end up full of white powder.
ThumperACC likes this.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks bwdbrn1, jrom, Bob Cat thanked for this post
Likes 43128, wdb liked this post
post #6 of 48 Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 80
It's a pity the Troy Bilt name no longer means top of the line, quality machines.
Back in the day, when the were owned by Garden Way, their rototillers were ranked one of the best you could buy. They even had a lifetime warranty on some of the components.
When I sold my Garden Way built Horse tiller last spring, I cleaned it up and it sold for $900.00 in a matter of hours. MTD bought them in 2001 and you know the rest of the story.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 48 Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 130
Likes (Received): 552
I'll probably get some blowback on this comment but ( this is solely my personal opinion) I would never drain fuel system and run the carburetor dry. I always use stabilized fuel (Startron and Seafoam) and never any problems. I will add this that if the gasoline is already old by the end of of the season whether it be snowblower or lawnmower etc, I will drain that old gas and add fresh, stabilized gas and run the engine fr a few minutes.
As I first stated, this is my way of avoiding carb issues and I've always lived by if it aint broke don't fix it advice.

This past year I didn't do this. I just left the old gas in the blowers qnd they all started a few days ago. The gas that was in them wasn't very old.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.

Toro 5/21
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24
Old green plastic snow shovel
Old quarry shovel for ice.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, Grunt, bwdbrn1, jrom, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #8 of 48 Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by russkat View Post
It's a pity the Troy Bilt name no longer means top of the line, quality machines.
Back in the day, when the were owned by Garden Way, their rototillers were ranked one of the best you could buy.
True. And this can be said of so many companies. I sure do miss those days of those homey magazine ads that made you feel good about their product, your country and life overall. So many wonderful brands have been compromised.
Wheel Horse, Troy Bilt, Briggs, Kohler, Porter Cable, etc..
Lay the blame wherever you choose whether it be corporate greed, business economics, govt. overregulation or simple necessity... The day of buying a piece of ope and expecting it to last a lifetime is gone forever.

Joe

Toro 5/21
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Toro-8-2-4, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #9 of 48 Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 218
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
It's a bit much to condemn an entire manufacturer and country for one machines problem(s).
That is true..but we also get the opposite here in this forum all the time:
"my one Chinese harbor freight engine has been great..therefore all Chinese engines are great." it happens both ways! as always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

also, he isn't basing it on one machine, he is basing it on two.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 48 Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Seems those chinese "powermore" engines are "powerless".

Joe

Toro 5/21
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page