LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 14
Yamaha YS624 Rebuild

I'm not usually one for introductions but as a first post I guess this is as good as any.

It wasn't until I started reading this forum and nabble in the last few days, just now signing up for both, that I realize I'm not alone in some unexplained obsession with buying old often relics of the past and having an overwhelming desire to restore it. It must be genetic as I know it runs in my family though I believe it's partially a trait of being frugal to the ultimate level with the desire to have nice things. There's just something oddly satisfying watching numerous videos of Yamaha machines moving tons of snow with ease at great distances. No doubt Honda equivalents are equally as capable, I personally almost bought a new Husq ST 224 or Toro 724OE until this little blue late model YS624 popped up on the local Kijiji site and I somehow had to have it. Often taking on too many projects at once I'm now constantly reminding myself it's Time vs Money; time taken away from more important things in life and realizing the funds could have been better spent. Hindsight, biting the bullet and financing a new YT624EJ would have been the ultimate investment but who knows, perhaps this little machine now has 20+ more years of life left!

Nov 11, 2014 I picked up this little diamond in the ruff. It went up online around 12:30 AM, I sent a message a few minutes after. 11AM the next morning it was mine for $300.

I should mention I had no clue about what to look over aside from seeing if the engine was working, body condition or if it was leaking oil. No doubt it needed cosmetic repair and a few bearings replaced but I took the chance, no haggling and brought it home. If I didn't nab it 2 others were ready and willing to buy.

Back at the apartment in its many shades of blue:

Unfortunately during the rebuild I didn't have access to a shed so it quickly exploded in the kitchen and livingroom.

The auger and impeller bearings were definitely toast, no grease left in these:

Wondering what I just got myself into

After a few hours work removing rusted nuts and bolts:

Those random moments when you really wish you had a suitable shed/garage to work in:

In for a penny, in for a pound, no turning back now:

I've repaired exhaust valve cover leaks on my '92 300ZX, which involves removing the entire fuel rail and air plenum, none of which compares the backward engineered, overly complicated, never to be taken apart design of the YS624. Rusted bearings EVERYWHERE! It definitely wasn't an end user simple repair machine, then again very little went wrong in it's life prior to a mid life refit except replacing all the bloody bearings!

Finally removed one of the track shafts after cutting a few bearings, not much grease left in the gear housing:

Cut the outer race, use a large slotted screwdriver and pop it out of the way over the bearings. To remove simply pry it apart and it should crack.

More precision cutting. With bearings fused on the drive shafts on the outside of the case and the inside behind the gears it's impossible to take the machine apart:

Finally got them out! The hardest part of the tear down complete.

Time for new bearings!

...more bearings, a few rated for snowmobiles and a tube of cold weather calcium based grease recommended for snowmobiles and snowblowers to repack the gears and generously cover all bearings and moving parts:

1/8" steel patch welds courtesy of my brother:

I believe this image is the final top coat of the Jeep Cosmos Blue, a nearly exact color match minus the poor lighting. All pieces were then hit with several coats of clear coat. I've tried various Ford Blues, Brilliant Blue but nothing was as close as this though it wasn't cheap at nearly $30 a can.

A collection of parts ready for reassembly:

I really didn't take as many photos as I normal would with something like this, I wasn't planning on making a write-up, but I do like to either document the process through photos for personal reference, sharing via text or FB.

It's not the best photo, I'll take many more and videos of it in action once I get home from work in 2 weeks but it does give you an idea of the finished look complete with a heat moulded 24" x 24" x 1/16"of Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic sheet available at Acklands-Grainger. It's an extremely durable material, resistant to extreme abrasion with very low friction properties, the Teflon used in the new Yamaha models being slightly better.

For anyone looking to take on such a project and to do a near full restoration, minus the motor, it involves a lot of work, time and money. While I paid $300 for the machine, if I knew the extent of work needed prior I would have tried to get it for less or just purchased something else new. There was a good reason the previous and second owner of this machine never broke off a shear pin as both the augers and impeller were rusted to the shafts. I was able to remove one auger with a lot of BP Blaster, heat and brute force along with the impeller, the other auger had to be removed at a machine shop. The remaining work involved paint and rust removal, applying metal filler in pitted areas for a smooth paint finish and finally painting of all parts removed.

Between purchase price; repair costs of machine shop work; all parts including bearings, stainless bolts and fittings, new Japanese (automotive) bolts to reassemble the bucket and reattach to the transmission body, sourced locally, along with any gaskets, seals and pulleys from my local Yamaha dealer, all paint and paint supplies including 2 sheets of UHMW plastic at Acklands-Grainger I invested about another $600 for a total of $900.

The only thing left to install is a 1/8" piece of UMHW plastic in the impeller housing, same as that found on the YS1028J, and to complete the wiring for the dual 10W Cree LED flood lamps.

For anyone wondering how long it took from start to finish, approximately 2 years as I work away for a large part of the year combined with a lot of procrastination then as it was all assembled I couldn't get it to start again. New gas, new fuel lines, new spark plug, all new carburetor gaskets, cleaning out any needle holes with a wire strand then rinsing it all down with break cleaner and reassembling everything for one last time it finally came to life! The high heat paint on the muffler began to smoke and bake on in seconds filling the 12x12 shed with a white cloud. I stood back with the door open admiring my final accomplishment albeit eager to get to work. No longer living at the apartment, I quickly suited up, goggles and all, and made a track from the shed to the driveway during a blustery night just after a moderate snowfall.

After cleaning my driveway I then tackled 4 of my neighbours as I was having WAY too much fun! This little machine is a beast, I had to be mindful where it was tossing the snow to refrain from hitting cars and houses rather far away. I may install better ice chewing serrations on the augers in the future. One thing I never have to worry is not having the ability to throw snow high, unlike the overly curved MTD plastic chute design which just doesn't cut it for the height of the snowbanks we often get. I can't wait to get home in 2 weeks, assuming we receive several large dumps of snow, as I've only had a chance to use the 624 once so far.
dbert and JnC like this.

Last edited by GregNL; 01-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JnC, jrom thanked for this post
Likes drmerdp, AriensPro1128, classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 54
Thats a heck of a first post. Welcome to the forum. I've got my eyes peeled for an old yamaha to play with too. Only one picture loaded properly.

Honda HSS928atd
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite

Last edited by drmerdp; 01-11-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #3 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 12:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 141
Likes (Received): 56
Welcome, Greg.

It used to be that picasa and google photos were pretty good image hosts where you could retrieve the URL of a photo that ends in .jpg very quickly and easily so you could embed the photo in forums like this one.

Now, they are THE worst. The URL ends with "-no" nowadays instead of .jpg. I could not retrieve your photos either, I only saw one picture that loaded correctly. You can sometimes manipulate the URL by adding -tmp.jpg or ?.jpg at the end of the URL, but that doesn't work with your photo links either.

I'd suggest flickr or imgur instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 288
Likes (Received): 329
Welcome aboard....! It is nice to have another Yamaha fan on the forum...!

I also can only see one picture. If you are using links they wont go through. Try sending the pictures to one of the moderators and they could properly load them.
I think as first poster you can copy and paste a picture or load them through "manage attachments" but not using links. For links you'll need to have 15 posts.
post #5 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry about the photo mess guys, I didn't have a chance to fix it last night. All the images work for me on both the laptop and phone, perhaps as I'm signed in with that Gmail account.

What image is the one that's working, I'll take a look into it today and try to fix it.
post #6 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 82
Only this one is working for me

post #7 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 264
Welcome.... you story has a very familiar ring to it! ;>P You have the sickness. No explaining it. I have been hoping for a Yamaha myself, but they don't pop up this far south very often. I have been tempted to make a northern trip a few times......
GregNL likes this.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #8 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think I have the images fixed folks! I had to copy the Image "URL" while logged out as it provided the shorter image link, or in this case just by viewing the shared album in IE as I never use it to login to my account.
post #9 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
WOW, great job so far and kudos for taking it on. Keep the updates coming!!!
post #10 of 46 Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 82
Man, those pictures were worth the wait, great job; you'll love the machine once you use it, if you havent already, and surely all the work will be well worth it. Please do post a video or two when you do use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page