Snowblower Forum banner

Looking for tips on painting rusted areas on my snowblower

16K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Tony-chicago 
#1 ·
I have a Yard Man Sno Bird from 1977 that is an orange/red color on the forward half, and black on the motor side. There is some surface rust, and I'm looking for advice on if or how to paint.

Until I can get some pics up here...

1. The rust is mostly on the orange/red bucket, along the edge where the side panels weld to the rolled top piece. Also some around the impeller housing.

2. There is also some on the black transmission box, again along the edges.

3. The chromed handlebars are rusted as well, and I can cup brush those and get some paint on them.

Is there recommended way to address the rust spots on the first two? Painting the whole units seems like a ton of work grinding and cleaning. Is spot treating (localized grinding and painting with a matched color) going to last? Are there any good hard paints or coatings that will last another 10 years of salty upstate NY winters?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sand it down to metal, spray self etching primer , then hit it with your choice and color rattle bomb can paint. but just remember there is no hardner in the canned paint. so don't expect it to look like a shiny new corvette paint job.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k: the only way for you to get a lasting paint job is to strip it down. clean it, prime it and spray it with very expensive paint. if I was you just do the first part I talked about.

#12 · (Edited)
Need pictures to see the extent of the rust before commenting.
Was the black factory color? The orange/red, if you bring a piece to an auto parts store or anywhere they have a color matcher you can get a rattle can to touch up.
How bad are the handlebars?
I cleaned mine up, need pictures to see what yours are like.
Pictures would be nice. :)

EDIT,
GOT SUCKED INTO AN OLD THREAD, THANKS TONY. :(
I NORMALLY DON'T.
AND THOOL NEVER CAME BACK AT ALL. THOUGH HE WAS ON 16 HOURS AGO.
I GUESS HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING?

#7 ·
My two cents.

First, buy a friggin' 3M real respirator with real filters such that you can't smell anything when it is on and the filters are new. SERIOUSLY!

Then prepare the metal by removing any rust you can.

Then brush or spray this:

Valspar Tractor And Implement Rusty Metal Primer

then brush or spray this:

Valspar® Tractor & Implement Enamel Paint

with 10% of mineral spirts to thin

and 10% of this:

Valspar 4625 Enamel Hardener

and brush or spray it on.

USE A RESPIRATOR (NOT A MASK) A FRIGGIN' 3M CHARCOAL RESPIRATOR AND REPLACE THE RESPIRATOR FILTERS EVERY 4 TO 8 HOURS.

I am setting up a supplied air breathing mask because I do some fiberglass work as well as paint a lot of metal stuff.

I simply love the Valspar tractor and implement metal paint with Vaspar hardener!

The hardener is the reason you need a respirator. It will hurt you if you breath it.

My guess is that the hardener likely also works with Rustoleum in the quart and pint cans.

Note: Here is the deal with Rustoleum in the quart and pint cans. It is way too thick, so if you don't thin it, it skins over and since all the voc's have been removed by the EPA, it needs to air dry. But once it skins over, the paint underneath will never really air dry, so it is never hard. So you get an unacceptable finish which you can always stick your fingernail into.

Maybe if you thin Rustoleum with acetone (the thinner recommended on the can) it will function fine without the Valspar hardener. But I won't likely ever try that because I love the Valspar Tractor Implement paint plus Valspar Hardener so much I will likely never use paint without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.