Snowblower Forum banner

New member needs help to buy the proper snow blower for a driveway with an incline

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  snowsh1 
#1 ·
I am new to snow blowers and I need help to select the proper one.

I would like to buy the single stage that clean snow to the bare pavement. Or should I go 2 stage with wheel or track? I would like to buy the smallest because of small garage space.

The driveway dimensions are 35ft x 13ft with a slope mostly 17.6 grade (10 degree) and 25 grade maximum (14.4 degree) in a few spots.

Thank you in advance for your suggestion/recommendation!

#2 ·
Welcome aboard....!

For a new unit my only suggestion would be a tracked Honda HSS724AT(D).
For used units or Honda HS6(7)24TA(S).

This recommendations are bases on the fact that they are fitted with tracks for greater traction (needed for inclines IMHO) but also because of their hydrostatic transmission that would give you infinite ground speed adjustment and let you move as slow or fast as needed without having to stop to change gears.
:blowerhug:

#5 ·
I am located in NJ, 20 miles from NYC. Last winter it snowed 3 to 5 feet one night and took me hours to shovel snow manually. I also had to put on traction cleats Yaktrax on my shoes because of ice. Any other option than Honda that is more affordable? Thank you again

#6 ·
The Ariens Path Pro machines (single stage) are great for getting to the bare pavement and avoiding that overnight re-freeze. Could be a consideration for you, Snowsh.

#7 ·
i highly recommend a tracked snowblower. I too have a very steep paved driveway. for 10 years i have used a wheeled blower but have always wanted something better to get up the hill. most times with the wheeled blower, i blow easily downhill using gravity of course, but i would then put it in high gear and just drive it up the hill over where i had already blown with the bucket raised up for zero drag. then turn around at the top and go back down. so of course, it takes longer because i only blow in one direction.

this year, i just bought a tracked honda.
if your driveway isn't real large, then go for the HSS724, otherwise the HSS928. if money is too much (they are pricey) look for a used one. however, that will save you $$ but not get teh price down to a box store wheeled unit.

it depends on how much you want to spend on ease of use. personally, i wish i would have bought the tracked blower from the start and not struggled for so long.

my 2c

#8 ·
I'm not experienced enough to offer any specific models, but I'm sure it would help to know your budget and whether you're willing to buy used, and if so, if you're willing/able to put a little time and energy into fixing one up.

Hondas can be pricey, but buying used can help greatly. This is a little far, but something local like this might be perfect. http://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...e/97209-yamaha-ys624t-$600-obo-nashua-nh.html

#11 ·
I'm a little surprised that people are suggesting ultra high grade machines to someone that lives in an area that receives only 35" of snow per year and with such a small area to clear. I realize that the driveway is fairly steep, but it is so small that even if he blew snow in just one direction, it would only be roughly 7 passes down the driveway with a 24" machine.....maybe 8.

I realize the OP started off stating that he received several feet of snow in one storm, and that is certainly a lot and I absolutely understand wanting to be prepared for the worst, however, there has to be a limit at some point. In my opinion, the OP would be best served with a very reliable single stage machine that clears all the way down to pavement. That way he doesn't have to worry too much about things freezing up on him over night and slipping on the driveway come the next day or later in the evening. Plus, it will pull itself up the driveway with just a little effort so that he can blow snow in two directions and maybe get the job down just a little quicker.....not sure about that point though.

I would suggest pretty much any Honda or Toro 21"+ model. I'm particularly interested in the Simplicity 1222EE because it has a 250CC engine. I think it's the same engine as my Ariens 24" Deluxe.

Just my opinion, OP. Good luck.

#12 ·
I have to agree that he OP should look for something that covers the 'average' snowfalls encountered. You can go huge to cover the worst situation but that's a matter of space and $$ he's willing to spend.
Does he need drive to get up the incline or not, if so then a 2 stage will be the better choice. If not, a single stage is likely the better choice. With the reference to limited space, something in a 21" - 24" would probably be the best width to look at.

As far as brands, I'm not going to recommend a particular brand. Rather look at what others have in your area along with brands that vendors in his area sell and decide based on that.

If willing and able to do some maintenance and repairs, check out what's available used. There can be some decent deals based on that. If not, check with vendors and see what prices they have.

Good luck.

#13 ·
Welcome Aboard!

3-5 feet of snow overnight must have been the snowstorm of the century for you! Really you don't have a driveway, just a parking space. I'd think any 2 stage would be overkill.
A Toro SnowMaster 724 QXE or 824 QXE would be ideal, cleans down to the pavement and can handle snow from an inch or two to 12". Costs from $849-$949 MSRP, maybe less.

:white^_^arial^_^0^_

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.