Snowblower Forum banner

Help Deciding on Used Ariens

11K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  toroused 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm located in CT and am looking to replace my Toro 824XL with a bigger machine. I've found a few listed in my area and wanted input on the prices. They all appear to be in very good condition. These are all prices that they're listed at

- looks to be a 926LE (926101) for $650

- ST1128LE (924121) for $800

- 11528LE (unsure on model #, says it's from 2006 or 2007) for $775

Any pros\cons to look for? Known issues each one may have had? Thank you!

#2 · (Edited)
All those prices seem way high to me, but I'm in MI, I know the East Coast runs higher. The 926 models had a belt upgrade (went to 2 auger belts, double pto sheave, 2 auger pulleys). Check if the machine has the upgrades. They also had a belt cover leak that was retro fit with a baffle kit fitted to disperse water away from the area. Can't remember if it was specific to Tecumseh engines or Briggs, but think it was only seen on on the Tecumseh models? I have a sticky stored somewhere I'll look around for. Just my opinion, but with those prices for used, I'd just buy a new one and not chase other people's problems or unknown maintenance history. Those prices are basically double what those machines would sell for around me (sell for, not listed for) on CL:eeek: I think those are all Tecumseh engine models also. Tecumseh is no longer around so a potential bargaining point if you indeed want to make an offer on one if it's in particularly good shape?
Found my bookmark..........

#3 ·
All of those prices seem high to me..
although! you have two factors that increase price:

1. your location: Add on $100 just for living in the Boston, New York City, Philly, DC corridor, compared to the Great-Lakes or Mid-West.
2. The date, add on $100 for being early winter, the most expensive time of year to buy a snowblower.

with those both factored in, the prices might not be unreasonable.

looks to be a 926LE (926101) for $650
Made two model years, 2005 and 2006, 11 or 12 years old.
a "Pro series" machine..
Price of a similar model in 2012 was $2,000..This one probably sold for $1,600 or so when new.
So IMO $650 isnt bad, if everything is in good condition.
(and if you really want or need a "Pro series" machine.)

ST1128LE (924121) for $800
i dont have it listed here:
The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
but based on the model number, its probably about a 2004.
Probably similar to the Pro series machine above, but from before the 926000 series was created.
No differential though on this one..I would say $800 is definately too high.
Because this one is a LE, but not a DLE, it is not technicalyl a Pro Series machine, just a small step below the Pro series.

11528LE (unsure on model #, says it's from 2006 or 2007) for $775
Also a 2004, approx, 924000 series..Same description as the middle machine, above.

These are all quite similar machines! The first one, the 926101, is "Pro series"..
the other two are "nearly Pro" series in specs, but no differential.

I think the 926101 has a differential, but im not 100% sure..I will check.

Prices are probably reasonable, given the age, specs, location and time of year.
Condition and care/maintenance by previous owners are the unknown factors, which are also very important.

Scot

#4 ·
I think the 926101 has a differential, but im not 100% sure..I will check.
Update..it does *not* have a differential:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/00483700_ENG.pdf

Which means all three of these machines are basically the same..

926LE (926101) for $650
9HP, 26" bucket, light, electric start.

ST1128LE (924121) for $800
11HP, 28" bucket, light, electric start.

11528LE (unsure on model #, says it's from 2006 or 2007) for $775
11.5HP, 28" bucket, light, electric start.
its not from 2006 or 2007..its a 2004 at the latest.

These are essentially identical in age and specs..
One is a 926000 series only because its a year or two newer than the others, and it was built after the switch to 926000 series.

Scot

#12 ·
2013 = Incorrect.
That style headlight was last used in 2011.

With that light, combined with that model number, it can only be a 2010 or 2011 model 921013, Deluxe 30.
and considering the low serial number, it is most likely a 2010.

Price is higher, for a "lower series" model..
rebuilt engine would worry me too..I would say: pass.

Scot

#10 · (Edited)
These machines all started with a similar price point, there's no real reason they should be that expensive used IF you look at what's available new, IMO. I understand it's a geographic in nature, but new prices are the same all over. The used prices you have going there seem like generator prices after Katrina:eeek:.
Open a HD credit card account and keep some cash in your pocket for stocking stuffers, get a warranty, throw snow into your neighbor's yard and start your own maintenance record. Just my thoughts.
Keep in mind, I am running a '79 Ariens I wouldn't trade for any of those used blowers, but I'd consider this Toro as my neighbor has one. The quick stick is by far the best control on the market, and it throws any snow anywhere without any mods.
Toro 26 in. Powermax 826 OXE Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower-37781 - The Home Depot

#17 ·
These machines all started with a similar price point, there's no real reason they should be that expensive used IF you look at what's available new, IMO. I understand it's a geographic in nature, but new prices are the same all over. The used prices you have going there seem like generator prices after Katrina:eeek:.
Open a HD credit card account and keep some cash in your pocket for stocking stuffers, get a warranty, throw snow into your neighbor's yard and start your own maintenance record. Just my thoughts.
Keep in mind, I am running a '79 Ariens I wouldn't trade for any of those used blowers, but I'd consider this Toro as my neighbor has one. The quick stick is by far the best control on the market, and it throws any snow anywhere without any mods.
Toro 26 in. Powermax 826 OXE Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower-37781 - The Home Depot

im with you im running an 80's st724 it has a 7 hp engine and if you have a good running older blower and put the impeller mod it will throw snow with any of the new stuff.

#13 ·
Thanks for the Plug, JTClays, Got this Pretty Clean ST1032 Has Electric Start, Big 6 Blade Impeller, No Frozen Rakes, Good Overall Condition, $500 Hudson Ma

Reactions: Duff Daddy
#14 ·
i happen to have a few older 24 inch machines for sale, all older ariens 10000 series with newer engines

i have this one with a honda gx200, no differential but has a cast iron gearbox throws great for 275

ariens 196cc 6.5hp 24 inch snowblower LIKE NEW HONDA GX200 ENGINE

i also have one with a differential, cast iron gearbox and a brand new predator 212cc engine for 300, cosmetically speaking nearly mint

ariens 212cc 6.5hp 24 inch snowblower BRAND NEW PREDATOR ENGINE

or i can custom build a 73-74 10000 series without a suicide clutch

they all were tested during the last snow storm and they all perform well, run great, and throw the snow well

#18 ·
i happen to have a few older 24 inch machines for sale, all older ariens 10000 series with newer engines

i have this one with a honda gx200, no differential but has a cast iron gearbox throws great for 275

ariens 196cc 6.5hp 24 inch snowblower LIKE NEW HONDA GX200 ENGINE

i also have one with a differential, cast iron gearbox and a brand new predator 212cc engine for 300, cosmetically speaking nearly mint

ariens 212cc 6.5hp 24 inch snowblower BRAND NEW PREDATOR ENGINE

or i can custom build a 73-74 10000 series without a suicide clutch

they all were tested during the last snow storm and they all perform well, run great, and throw the snow well
id be all over that predator powered differential machine for $300 obo !

#19 ·
Reactions: Duff Daddy
#28 ·
I believe it was a contractor's machine and it's spent the last years in the back of a pick-up truck all winter long without being tied down. Thus, the sides of the bucket are bent from bouncing around and hitting the lower sides of the bed...

I see this in my neck of the woods all the time - contractors driving around 7 days a week during the winter with snowblowers bouncing
all around the back of the bed, all untied. It's why the plastic on top of the motor has that strange "good section/bad faded section" blot to it - it's been outside in the winter's sun for years on end in the back of the pick-up. IMO, these types just beat on these engines until they die, thus the reference to the engine rebuild. I believe you should consider everything else inside this machine quiet worn as well- read bearings, gear box etc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.