Snowblower Forum banner

Snowblower/Generator combo

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  FearlessFront 
#1 ·
My first thread (ok second one after the introduction one). Anyone else would like if a manufacturer i.e. Honda or any one else created a Snowblower & Generator combo? My immediate thought for the generator use would be for power outages... Could the Honda Hybrid Snowblower be a step in that direction?

#4 ·
My first thread (ok second one after the introduction one). Anyone else would like if a manufacturer i.e. Honda or any one else created a Snowblower & Generator combo?
First off, welcome!

I don't see this as an idea with widespread appeal. Or at least, it's not really something I'd like a manufacturer to make.

There are some generators that can be attached to the PTO (Power Take Off) of a garden tractor, etc. I think that's an interesting way to make use of a powerful engine that you already own, though I don't think they are common.

The actual electrical generator half of a normal generator is quite heavy. So if it was always part of the machine, it would add a lot of weight, in addition to bulk. The generator half would also be better kept dry, which is tough on a blower. The Honda hybrid blower is extremely expensive (~$8k) already, so adding more stuff to it (for generator output) would likely make it even more of a niche product.

As a simple example of some challenges, generators often have large fuel tanks, my 5500W is 8 gallons, I think. My blower's tank is only about 1 gallon, so I'd get much less run-time if using it as a generator.

Now, some Ariens allow other "attachments" besides the snowblower bucket. Like a big brush, for street-sweeping. If you could remove the bucket, and attach a generator head to the same engine, that could be interesting.

But you can get a generator for $400-500 or so, with lots of choices. If a manufacturer released a generator head, their sales volumes would probably be quite low, and it could likely only work with certain models. It seems like this would make them quite expensive.

#13 ·
The actual electrical generator half of a normal generator is quite heavy. So if it was always part of the machine, it would add a lot of weight, in addition to bulk. The generator half would also be better kept dry, which is tough on a blower. The Honda hybrid blower is extremely expensive (~$8k) already, so adding more stuff to it (for generator output) would likely make it even more of a niche product.

As a simple example of some challenges, generators often have large fuel tanks, my 5500W is 8 gallons, I think. My blower's tank is only about 1 gallon, so I'd get much less run-time if using it as a generator.

Thank you for the greetings. Isn't the Honda Hybrid already a 24V generator? In regards to the fuel capacity, good point... but what might be interesting is to have a propane conversion/connection.

#6 ·
The snow blower would also have to be fitted with an air filter. ;)

#19 ·
If the snowblower has a Tecumseh its set up to take an air filter. Some of the older Briggs as well, the really old Briggs all most have air filter under the snowblowers shield like the 68 Simplicity S4 Sno-Away and many of the really old, old craftsman snowblowers that had metal wheels.

#7 ·
One of the first pieces of OPE i worked on as a kid, was the TROY-Bilt Horse tiller ( or something like that, It was the BIG one). It had optional attachments for it, because it was so big and heavy. A plow blade was a good seller for it. There was a generator attachment available, which I guess was NOT a big seller. And they are worth a fair bit of dough now, if you had an original, matched to the unit of tiller that was purchased at the time. That generator was only 110v, only had 2? outlets and not many amps. From what people in the know told me, it was a very expensive way to make power. As it was a very pricey option, used a lot of fuel to run it, considering it was using the 8 hp engine, and heavy. The weight combined with the amount of work to do the change over, made it cumbersome. according to sales reps of the day. So although I like the idea and the versatility of machines, it seems very cool, but not a good financial decision. But I'd buy one if the price was right, because I just picked up 2 of the old T/B Tillers.

GLuck, Jay

#11 ·
I like the idea of a power source with multiple attachments. Most users won't need to use multiple pieces of equipment simultaneously.

I have the stihl Kombi setup with 5 attachments. One powerhead.

That Troybilt flex setup looks pretty good. My only issue is that it's just to consumer, and not prosumer. Too small of an engine, too small of a cutting deck (mower), too cheap of a pressure washer(axial cam instead of triplex), and the snowblower... Zero features... Plus the turf tires are useless in snow.

#12 ·
I like the idea of a power source with multiple attachments. Most users won't need to use multiple pieces of equipment simultaneously.

I have the stihl Kombi setup with 5 attachments. One powerhead.
I do agree with this aspect. Especially if the tools are all mounted to the ends of handheld poles anyhow, then something like the Kombi system seems to make a lot of sense. I don't need to weedwhack and street-sweep at the same time.

These seem like the tools are often kind of "birds of a feather". Hand-held, mobile, and on sticks. Most homeowners don't need to use them all at once (not like a landscaping crew), so it's probably nice.

That Troybilt flex setup looks pretty good. My only issue is that it's just to consumer, and not prosumer. Too small of an engine, too small of a cutting deck (mower), too cheap of a pressure washer(axial cam instead of triplex), and the snowblower... Zero features... Plus the turf tires are useless in snow.
That is interesting, I wasn't aware of this machine. Thank you, e.fisher26, for mentioning it. For things that are all "similar", it could be useful. Though things like the tire size and tread could be an issue for use as a blower, as you said.

These machines have different needs. A pressure washer just sits there. A mower needs to push, but not terribly hard. A blower needs to push hard with a lot of grip, including at lower speeds. The one design must accommodate all of this.

It appears that you'd likely need to buy a few of the attachments to start saving money. It's $900 total for the 28" mower setup. That feels expensive, but it *is* a wide mower. But then you can add a blower for $400 at that point. Or $230 for a pressure washer. If they perform well, it could be appealing, if you needed those. But if one thing breaks (especially the powerhead), it starts becoming problematic.

#14 ·
Modular units with multiple attachments are barely a niche (Gravelly, BCS, Ariens) and that's for attachments one would have a reasonably recurring use for. A generator that most have a very sporadic use for would never see sales volume adequate to justify it's place in the line-up.

#18 ·
Before I bought my generator I did keep my eye open for a generator with a blown engine. I could hang it as an attachment on my 16 HP tractor or rig it to a spare 8 HP engine. In the end I decided to save time, trouble and just go with a new packaged unit. It's is an interesting idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.