Snowblower Forum banner

1979 Toro 826 - Cold Galvanize Impeller Instead Of Spray Paint?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sid 
#1 ·
Hi All, I am going to put rubber wipers on the impeller (after I straighten one of the curved part of the fins out). I originally intended to paint the impeller before doing the modification, but was wondering if cold galvanizing spray might be more durable. Thoughts?

#3 ·
Hi, and thanks for the welcome! The impeller is removed from the snowblower, so after straightening and cleaning either finish will be easy to spray on. I'm thinking that cold galvanizing will be more durable - maybe a better chemical bond and less prone to chipping?

For anyone interested, here is what I have:

Pict0010 is the impeller showing how the plate on the plywood is bent and the tip of the blade in back is bent backwards.

Pict0013 is the impeller turned so that the worst blade is in front.

In Pict0031 I traced the outline of the best blade onto a piece of cardboard to use as a guide. The worst blade is straightened a bit - it's on the right and has masking tape on it.

I used a pipe wrench in Pict0032 to somewhat wrap the blade around a pipe nipple to get the shape right.

I'm calling Pict0033 close enough for now, at least until the impeller is wire wheeled.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks - after wire wheeling the impeller with an angle grinder I decided to go with paint. The old paint was more tenacious than I expected, and I don't think my new paint will be as durable, but the blade surfaces that would see most of any impact will be covered with rubber or plastic anyway when I install the impeller mod. I sprayed on a coat of primer so I'm somewhat committed but if I don't like the longevity of the paint I can redo it again next year or later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.