Snowblower Forum banner

WET SNOW : Single Stager

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Toro-8-2-4 
#1 · (Edited)
The new house has more flat than gravel. Sold the 2stager and figuered I could get by the single.

It's great when the snow conditions allow for the single stager to work.
The issue is proximity to water and 85% of the time , it's the wet/heavy stuff.

Added back a 2 stager to the mix. 2 stager does most of the work and the SS is really there as a ~broom~ just to get down to surface clean.

The SS is a bear on doing the initial cuts if it's deep. Or deep and wet. And I need to do at least 3 cuts - basically a T for the areas I need to use it. It's a clog monster when doing the intial cut. I spend more time unclogging than blowing - hence adding the 2 stager back into the mix.

For those with just a single stager or PREFER to just use a single stager, do you get any wet snow.
How do you deal with taking the initial bite or do you just go out often enough, so the 1st bite won't be a issue. Personally, I'm not a huge fan when it's blowing a hotmess. I like to wait it out.

For discussion sake, my SS is a HS621

Thinking about selling it. Wouldn't mind the extra garage space.
I'm sure I will have buyers remorse
Every part on is OEM.....fresh paddles, NEW auger, new bearings, etc

Since adding the 2 stager, I have not used the 621 at all.
By choice. 2 stager is much more work to manuevar but it gets the job done with no need for me to declog.
If someone shot a video of me using the 621 cutting the initial bites and how many times I was declogging....you guys would be commenting galore on operator error

See less See more
#2 ·
I have three 621s in the family, one at home, one at work and one that I gave to my father-in-law, actually have another machine thats just for parts. I'd never get rid of it as it comes handy for any storm that dumps less than 3~4 inches, it just makes easy work of light or heavy, damp or dry snow. I initially had issue with belt slipping which got sorted with adjusting the tension on it, other than that I have never had a clog issue with the unit.

If you really need the garage space then get rid of it otherwise keep it.

#3 ·
Seems weird I have had lots of single stages hs621's 521's lots of Toros.

If the single stages have good paddles I have never had one clog on me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Only time i've had a single stage clog was when the paddles were in dire need of replacement... at the time my knowledge was limited and had no idea they needed to be replaced. Decided to make new holes in the paddles instead of buying new ones (the machine was annoying me, didn't want to put $$ into it) and the following year it worked great, within its limits... it is an MTD 21" machine with a 3.5hp 2 cycle... under powered for the bucket size. It has been replaced, but I keep it at my dads.

#7 ·
Are all your snowfalls that wet? I keep both around, usually using the HS621 for lighter snow falls since it's faster to get around, then the 2 stage Toro 521 for thicker accumulation.

Unless you absolutely need the garage space, I'd keep both. HS621s are tough to find and you'll surely regret getting rid of it :) Especially as cherry as yours sounds like it is.

#8 · (Edited)
This is only my second year with my Toro SS so I haven't had a lot of time with it but we did have some wet snows last year but it never clogged but did seem to struggle with the snow that had to be double thrown. If that gets to bad I'll get out the 2 stage. It's nice to have both.

If the paddles are in good shape make sure your belt isn't slipping.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't get rid of it unless you really need the space.

#10 · (Edited)
That being the case I would get rid of it...I keep a single stage too as a back up and for light snow. It is more of a luxury than a necessity..I have written before that single stages have their place and can do some things a 2 stage can't. But if you are North of Maryland you would be best served with a 2 stage.
As Duffy said, If the paddles are good make sure the belt is not slipping and in good condition. Tune it up and you could get a decent price for it right now.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.