Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums - View Single Post - Hydrostatic Drive Oil Level
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
aesmith

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Hydrostatic Drive Oil Level

Hi, my snowblower is a Stiga 1171HST a [email protected] two stage model which I believe to be the same as the Murray 28" HST model. It's a US machine, not Swedish in spite of the brand name. I believe the trasmission is from Hydro Gear, and which looks like the one shown here as far as I can determine.

What I'm looking for is some indication as to the correct oil level. At the top of the drive there's a plastic expansion tank, with very small breather. From the main casing into the expansion tank there's a thin flexible with what looks like a weighted filter or valve on the end, so that when assembled that end will dangle down to the bottom of the expansion tank. My thoughts are that the main housing should be completely full, with a small amount in the expansion tank. Logic being that if there was supposed to be an air space it wouldn't need the expansion tank, and that pipe looks like it's supposed to allow it to suck oil back in when it cools down. Does that sound correct? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome