Snowblower Forum banner

Husqvarna ST227P Impeller Pulley Removal?

58K views 68 replies 42 participants last post by  dr bob 
#1 ·
I have asked a couple questions in other threads, but at the suggestion of another user, I'm starting a new one with my specific question. The impeller in my Husqvarna ST227P (bought new last year) bent and now it rubs on a bolt and makes a terrible noise when engaged. I can see where it bent, but I just can't get to it. My thought is if I can remove the shaft and then the impeller I should be able to bend it back, or replace it. The thing is I can't figure out how to remove it. I found the parts diagram but I can't figure out how to remove the auger pulley. It has a nut on and it's called a "pulley screw on" so I figured I could unscrew it from the shaft but it won't budge. I didn't force it (yet) because I wasn't sure if I was missing something. The only YouTube video I can find only shows how to replace a belt. Very helpful, in general, but not with my specific issue. I also tried to remove the augers and remove the impeller that way by sliding it off the front after removing the shear pins, but there's some sort of pin on the shaft so I can't remove it.
It's very frustrating because I'm almost to where I need to be, but not quite. And I feel like I'm missing something very simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Many find that dripping or spraying PB Blaster will help to loosen up rust - assuming that you have taken off all of the necessary set screws, etc. that hold the pulley on the shaft. You may even try tapping the shaft/pulley with a hammer to vibrate it, and get the PB Blaster to penetrate better. Or, you can use a set of pickle forks as a wedge to help loosen the pulley - providing there is enough room. It may take a few days for the PB Blaster to do its thing, but it should be very helpful.

#4 ·
Success!!! The PB Blaster did the trick. Sprayed it on, let it sit, then the auger pulley unscrewed with a little elbow grease. Got the impeller out, hammered out the bent piece, got it all back together and I'm all ready for the next big snow! Thanks for the help!

#8 ·
Need to Replace Impeller

So I have the same issue, bent fins on the Impeller, I have everything apart, the Impeller is on the shaft, I have removed the Shear Bolts, and I am trying to remove the Impeller, but it gets stopped, do I need to remove the pin in front of the impeller, and remove the shaft from the gearbox? or am I just not being forceful enough trying to remove it from then Pulley side of the shaft.

#7 ·
We just purchased a Husqvarna ST 224 on Dec 3rd so this blower is brand new. Anyway, the plow truck did their usual road side clean up during this last storm and what i did not know was that a few larger size rocks were hidden in the pile at the end of my driveway and of course I hit them with the snowblower. I started noticing this rattling noise, and upon closer inspection one of the impeller blades bend back and pushed the piece so when it runs it's rubbing on the bolts. I read this thread and it sounds just like my issue, and I followed the advice on here, but I have tried alot of the PB Blaster and used my socket pushing down on the nut thats fused to the pulley wheel (part states its a screw on pulley wheel) but it won't budge... any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I'd think with it being a new blower that parts would be easier to remove, not harder... Very frustrated any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks and hope you have a wonderful Christmas :)

#10 ·
I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time removing parts from a practically brand new machine. I can get them off my 10 year old machines with a bit of effort. Next - why are people removing the impeller just to straighten out the fins. Can you do it while it is still on the shaft - granted, it needs to be removed from the bucket first.

#11 ·
They can't get the pulley off so can't remove from the bucket, Hoping my brother doesn't have any issues with his 224, Might have to pull his abart just to never seize the crap out of it before it's a issue.

#12 · (Edited)
Amazing that there is a forum out there that features the exact obscure problem that i have in detail. removing the impeller! And since the posts were helpful in leading to my solution. I decided to give back and post my solution as to how to get the shaft to sit still, while your trying to get the pulley unscrewed!
After you have separated the front half of the blower from the back half (the motor part of it)and exposed the flywheel... lay the flywheel part flat and put the PB Blaster to it and let it soak in overnight. you have also already removed the shoot from the housing. now you can insert a large pipe wrench down thru the shoot and get the teeth around the shaft right about where that little pin is thru the shaft. the shaft will want to rotate counterclockwise so set the wrench so the teeth will grab when the shaft tries to spin. now heat up the nut on the flywheel with a torch for extra help. get a good sturdy crescent on the flywheel nut and turn it counterclockwise. check that the pipe wrench is locking on the shaft and the shoot will hold that pipe wrench in place for you so you can really pull on the crescent. a few tugs and mine broke free with out busting my knuckles on anything! Amazing. new impeller on order and ill have it back together soon. I tried to hammer my bent impeller flat, and ended up hurting myself so i just ordered a new part.
I took pictures to try to help show how I set the pipe wrench but i cant figure out how to upload pictures here. feel free to email me and ill sent pics to you. vince@lakehousestudio.net

Many Thanks to all who have posted!

Attachments

#13 ·
A....

I took pictures to try to help show how I set the pipe wrench but i cant figure out how to upload pictures here. feel free to email me and ill sent pics to you

To add pics to your post, click the "advanced" tab under the "quick reply" window. You can do this after you've typed your reply, and your added text will migrate with you to the "advanced" page. On that page, there's section down the page with a "manage attachments" button. That takes you to the page for moving your pictures into the post. Instructions there will let you grab your picture files from your computer, and upload them to your post. Preview your post to confirm it's what you want to share. Then "post replay" will put it up for others here.

#17 ·
make that 8,i have 2 husky's in for repair that have bent up impellers and augers , both have worn out the plastic skids in very low single digit hours that allowed the housing to drag pull off the sheaves, wind them up around both auger and impeller that seem to lock in place to what people are talking about here. what a mess

asking the local ope selling dealer, OH we see it all the time,

#22 ·
There are a lot of ways, and sometimes you have to use a combination of all of them - unless you get lucky.

An acetylene torch with a rosebud tip to break the rust, then a big hammer/sledge.

Dripping PB Blaster through the shaft for maybe a week, and then the same hammer/sledge.

An 8-ton or so, bearing press.

You may want to look for some YouTube videos with different methods.

It is not gonna be fun, nor easy. Take your time, and say some prayers.

#23 ·
All bolts I believe have been taken out and seems to be loose. Just will not allow shaft to move forward past the back of the bucket. No idea why it is not sliding out. The only thing I see left is the
Little pin that was in front of she shear bolts of the impeller

Attachments

#25 ·
Does anyone know how to replace the impeller after removing the augers from the bucket? I was able to get the shaft out of the bucket, but now the impeller will not slide back off the shaft since there is a small lip behind it. Has anyone taken an impeller off completely?

Sadly this is another another case of a bent impeller on the ST224. It's frustrating that the sheer pins didn't let go before the impeller and belt

#26 ·
Does anyone know how to replace the impeller after removing the augers from the bucket? I was able to get the shaft out of the bucket, but now the impeller will not slide back off the shaft since there is a small lip behind it. Has anyone taken an impeller off completely?

Sadly this is another another case of a bent impeller on the ST224. It's frustrating that the sheer pins didn't let go before the impeller and belt

Sounds like it may be rusted to the shaft - which may be why the sheer pin is not doing its job. I would hit it with a wire brush, and some sandpaper, and maybe even a file if that doesn't work. Then, some PB Blaster, and a BFH to persuade it to move.

#28 ·
the nut is actually welded to the pulley, and they use a red loctite on it. so when you try to remove the pulley it is almost impossible to remove by hand,i took mine to a john dealer had them remove with an impact gun! Then i i heated the loctite inside of the nut, when still warm i used a steel bore brush and got all the loctite residue out of the nut before i put it back on. Do this so you do not ruin the threads when putting it back on!

#32 ·
I also have a bent impeller. I have been working on getting the pulley off for hours now. The pipe wrench on the shaft keeps that from spinning but I'm afraid to use any more force than I have been. I have tried heating the pulley nut with a torch but it looks like soft alu and I haven't gone red hot. Am I just being too gentle? I'm getting pissed. (angry not drunk)

#30 ·
I have also repaired a few Husqvarna and Poulan late models. I think they have found the limit to how light they can build them. They get twisted up pretty easy. Also, the key for the pulley is press formed in a collar that is then welded to the pulley. The key shears off pretty easy. The last time I checked, the pulley is nla. A buddy took the sheared pulley home and broached in a new keyway, so normal key stock could be used.

#31 ·
Joined the bent impeller party on my 227P, a rock got in there good, nothing sheared, but it bent one of the tines enough that it became a rapid fire bolt remover. Parts are on order from a place down in Miami (where it never snows, go figure). I'd already ordered a few parts but didn't realize how bad the impeller was bent until I dug into it today so I had to go back for more. At least the replacement parts are inexpensive.

Main problem I have is that I clear part of my (dirt) road with it and never adjusted the feet, so occasionally it'll pull in a rock and the rest is history. Once I get it back together I'll be adjusting those things and hopefully will avoid a repeat!

#33 ·
Just swapped the impeller out today, hardest part was getting that pulley off. In my case, I jammed a small 1x4 into the impeller through the chute opening, wedging it nicely, and then used a 1/2" drive 15/16's socket on a breaker bar to fight it off. It took a LOT more force than I expected, but then after removing I saw all the red threadlocker they used. Eventually it turned easier and came off.

As for getting the shaft out of the machine, I removed the bearing retainers on either side of the auger housing, unbolted the auger from the bearing so that the augers were floating in the housing. I placed it open-side down, put that 1x4 on the rear of the shaft and gave it a good whack with a hand sledge. Popped right out.

Someone else here posted about a small ridge that keeps the impeller from being able to slide right off, they were right. I used a small file to even it out and slip it off.

I also put the entire machine in my living room because my garage isn't heated. Helped greatly. :)

#38 ·
Nope, last one had an issue with me rebuilding a 550cc motorcycle engine in the kitchen. :grin:
Yeah, females are like that. For a while there I did have a Yamaha XS650 stored over the winter in my living room. But I was single then, now my wife complains about R/C model airplanes in the dining room.

#36 ·
Sigh. And out of that picture, what caught my eye was the Nintendo zapper light gun, presumably nicely paired up with a CRT TV, so it can actually work :) Cool!

I wish modern consoles could still work with a light gun, that's a game genre that's sort of disappeared. Maybe the VR systems will make that kinda happen somehow.

#39 ·
How about why is the impeller bending? My ST224 second time bending the impeller, when it happens the engine is stalled out. Where is the protection from the shear pins. If there is enough force to stall the engine and bend the impeller fins I think the pins should shear. Cost me $300 last year at the shop. Called Husqvarna maybe a warranty issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.