Snowblower Forum banner

Collecting thoughts on proper spring storage

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ih8thepackers 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

Proud owner of deluxe 28 here with auto turn and looking for recommendations for spring storage. I am good with draining fuel, etc....and everything in the manual, but looking for all the pros to pass along lessons learned. Here is what I have, less than 10 hours on unit and before the first use, I waxed it and always use lithium grease or fluid film to lube the chute and intake areas. How do I get all the grease off to rewax or do I just leave it as is and store as normal with other powered equipment?
Current forecast has lots of snow next week, and suspect snow thru March, so I know the hours will quickly add up.
What should one do to be sure this machine lasts?

All the advice is helpful. Until now then, I know anyone with a machine like this is having fun blowing snow across the street or adding mods to get just a bit more out of an already impressive machine.

#2 ·
Follow all your owner's manual recommendations for storage. Some will go to the trouble of blocking it off the floor to keep the tires from forming flat spots and cracking. Most important is to change oil and make sure your carburetor is free of all fuel before storage. Sounds like you are the kind of guy who will be proactive about maintenance and will get years of service from your machine. Good luck. MH

#3 ·
There's a thread on here somewhere. It's a poll, do you leave fuel in tbe tank or drain it dry. So far the dry vote has more but I personally don't drain anything. I do have stabilized fuel in all my ope though, and everything gets started periodically.

As MH stated, folllow your owner's manual for proper care.

#4 · (Edited)
My dealer suggested to fill the gas tank FULL with stabilized fuel so that you dont get condensation in the tank. Then start the blower, let it run on high and turn off the fuel supply and let the machine stall from running out of gas. DONE. Change the oil at the END of this season not the beginning of next so all the contaminants don't sit eating your engine all summer. If you're storing in a dry garage you should be all set.

One thing I do if I'm in the garage tinkering or smoking a cigar from time to time, I'll start the off season stuff. The Deere tractor idled for half an hour today while I did the driveway. It heats up, I moved it just a little to get the tires on a different spot.... started the generator today too. Not sure if it does any good but I feel like it can't hurt.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone. Sound like I treat it like anything else really. Also would like to pass along the fluid film is best for the machine that I have tried and I have tried all the typical suggestions, cooking spray, white lithium, silicone spray and fluid film is the best. I am going to use it underneath parts of my truck as we can go along time with all the road salt that truck seems to collect in the hard to reach areas. Have all the fun with these machines, it sure brings a smile to my face to see a lot of snow flying over to my neighbors yards!!!

#8 ·
Putting a blower to bed

Some companies recommend using fogging oil on an engine, some don't. Comes down to using a thick oil and spraying it into the carb to kill the engine and coat the cylinder. Personally I just take out the sparkplug and use a spurt of WD40 into the cylinder using the wand and then turn the motor over a few times to coat everything after the carb was run dry last year and everything was fine this winter. Obviously put the plug back in when done.
Any oil from a misting will burn off the first use and it helps reduce the chance of any rust over the summer IMO.

#9 ·
i was at one of the local Ariens dealers saturday,i asked the guy there what was his recommendation for storing your machine,he said he runs the gas out of it then uses a can of premixed 2 stroke fuel (it comes in a metal can i buy it for my leaf blower theres 40.1 or 50.1) he says he puts enough of the stuff in the tank for the snowblower to run for about 5 minutes and runs out.he says your wont have any problems come next snowblower season.i think im going to try it this year instead of draining the gas in the tank and carb...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.