Snowblower Forum banner

engine specifications for replacement harbor freight predator

30K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  rmchevelle 
#1 ·
Hey guys im trying to get a replacement engine for my dads craftsman 6.5 Briggs 24" snoblower.its a 2005 model # 536.881651. The engine model # is 12e114 0268 E1. Im looking to replace it with the predator 6.5hp from harbor freight.Any idea if this is a direct fit and how does it perform. I cant find the briggs engine specifications anywhere shaft size etc. Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
The predators are number for different series (updates or use in california etc) any will be fine.

In regards to your other post you dont need the specs online, just go measure it.

Take off the belts and engine pulley. measure the diameter of the crankshaft. measure from the center of the crankshaft to the bottom of the motor where it is bolted to the snowblower (crank height centerline), measure the bolt pattern for mounting base plate of the motor.

I just changed an overhead briggs like yours on a craftsman and this is what you need to do.

1-- original pulley should work fine but you will need a longer pulley center bolt (5/16 fine thread),

2-- the pulley needs to slide onto the crank but you need to put a spacer about 1/4 inch thick on the crank first to align the v-belts.

3-- Three of the four mounting studs will line up fine. the fourth--front left when standing at the operator position--will need to be elongated a little bit.

If I think of anything else I will let you know but I think that was it.

#8 ·
1 more thing. When you put the engine pulley back on the crankshaft does not reach the end of the pulley. There is still plenty of pulley on the crank but for stability when you put the bolt in you need to fill the gap at the beginning of the pulley between the bolt and pulley. I used a spacer but a short stack of washers is fine. It will be 5/16 id and 3/4 od.

#12 ·
Not the OP, but yes it looks like he used a 20% off coupon with the 119.99 sale price. They are on sale for $99.99 until the end of February so with the 20% off coupon you can get it for about $90 depending on the sales tax in your state

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.