Snowblower Forum banner

Auger shaft holder

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Kiss4aFrog 
#1 ·
Hi,
my blower has lost most of its poser lately so I fugred it was time for belt replacement. Looking at it, I found out shaft that going in the auger was a loose. I could wiggle it sideways. Then I saw there was 2 nuts missing on the part that is suppose to hold the shaft in place. Now how do I replace the missing nuts? The head of the bolts seem to be right under the 2nd stage auger. And the end of the bolts is located in a very tight space under the auger pulley. The picture my help understand this description... any idea?? Do I need to remove the auger all together??

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The close ups are nice but it would also be nice to have an additional photo or two showing a wider shot to get a feel for it's location and the clearance you have.
Is that picture taken down through the discharge chute ??
If this is the bearing retainer on the rear of the housing behind the impeller I think you might need to split the machine and take the pulley off the shaft to remove it from the bearing to have the room to get new nuts in there. Might want to replace the bearing too is you're in any doubt on it's condition so you don't have to split it again in the near future.
That's just my opinion as I don't think you'd have room to get in to get the nut started with it all together.

#3 ·
The picture appears to be of the space between impeller and the back of the impeller housing. It looks like the bearing retainer bolts are the wrong way around. The head of those bolts is usually carriage type where the square head fits into the opening where you can just see the bolt threads. The nuts fit on the pulley side. If that is the case for you the nuts could never have been tightened properly. That is a big gap, more than I would have thought.

Best to split the machine and remove the auger and impeller from the housing and check everything out. Looks like debris on the bearing.

#5 ·
Wow you guys are awesome!

1-Is that picture taken down through the discharge chute ??
No, its taken from under with the belly pan open

This is the bearing that is behind the impeller, yes. The thread side of the bolts are on the pulley side, in the belly pan. There is definitely not enough space to get new nuts in there. The gap looks big because of the close-up, but its about half an inch.

So I think you guys were spot on... I need to remove that impeller and pulley to get in there. I will also make sure so to replace that bearing.

One more question, is the impeller welded in the shaft or its tighten with bolts? Any advice on splitting the machine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.