Snowblower Forum banner

Storing a Snowblower during the season after use

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  skutflut 
#1 ·
I've read that putting a snowblower away "hot" is not good for them, and I'm trying to learn how the best way to store a snowblower during the winter months after using it to minimize future issues.

My garage is (unfortunately) asphalt base, so moisture can come up. I'm concerned that snow buildup that either melts or freezes to the blower will be a weak spot for future rust. Thinking of rolling them onto wood blocks to give the auger space to melt and dry out.

Other than that, am I supposed to clean out all the old snow in the auger housing with a brush after each use?

#2 ·
Hot? It's a mower engine, put it away, forget about it!I

If the snow is going to freeze, it shouldn't be there. Most times I stop, let it sit on my patio, covering it with a tarp later. I've never had frozen ice snow though some have. I just run the auger before turning it off. If you are concerned about snow ice, use a hose then tilt it forward to let the water run out.

Reactions: WalkThisWhey
#3 ·
I brush mine out and off, and store it on a mat with a block to keep the bucket up off the ground, and in 40+ years, have never had a rust issue. The garage often warms enough when a car comes in to melt it off as well, but that's not a given. Asfar as "hot", I do idle the engine while brushing, so it's not blazing when I park it, but that'smmore of a side thing rather than anything done on purpose, since I back it in atidle under power and am basically too lazy to restart it for that . . .

#4 ·
I remove plug and use a scraper brush like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-...MI4O-BoOPF4AIVEIezCh1anAE6EAQYBSABEgJil_D_BwE

Has to not be to thick over bristles to get between housing and auger. You want scraper by handle not bristles for obvious reasons.

I use scraper around lower chute teeth area...usually ice build up on top of ring there so it works well.

Before I shut off blower I run auger for like 30 seconds to make sure all loose pieces are mostly removed...

When I turn it off I lift housing up a couple of inches and tap housing on driveway to further loosen any pieces that might come off as well then I get to brushing.

My Drift cutters(solid metal) at their base make a nice handle to lightly lift(well balanced) front of blower to get in to auger housing with brush while keeping my hands safely out of there...does a good job.

The little melt there is after done on garage floor later I do not worry about. These Blowers are built to take this stuff.

Next Time I go out nice and dry and ready to go...

#5 ·
I store my machines on cut up old rugs. I give them a good brushing off after I'm done using them - much like brushing off your car after a snowfall.

#6 ·
I let the engine run at idle for a few minutes out in the driveway after blowing to let any moisture evaporate. While its going that, I use an old broom to sweep off most of the snow thats on the outside and what I can get in the auger area.

I then shut the fuel valve and let the engine shut itself off from lack of fuel.

I have a piece of 3/4 inch plywood about 4 inches wide and I park the blower so that the bucket is on the plywood, so that the skids and scraper are 3/4 inches off the ground so they don't sit in water . I vary the spot where the wood sits under the scraper so it isn't always the same part of the scraper sitting in the wet. Machine is now 11 years old, no rust to speak of, and still runs like a champ. Only bug with it is I think the cam shaft compression release is broken as this thing cannot be pull started. Electric starter does the job though. One of these years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.