Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums - View Single Post - Power up or Move On?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-29-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Bash Rip Rock

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Question Power up or Move On?

Hey Gang,
I had my first experience with my Craftsman 23" 5hp Tecumseh 10" Impeller this winter. Everyone warned me it would be way underpowered. You all were correct. The snowblower worked fine considering I got it for nothing and put on a new belt, pulley, muffler, carburetor and traded out the old hardware for SS.
Our first snow here in central Ohio was the typical light fluffy kind. The blower worked great. The next several snowfalls were the wet heavy kind. In 4 inches of this stuff, it took me forever to get the job done. But I was able to finish the season. No breakdowns of any kind other than breaking the top of the spout of with a chunk of ice. As I put it away I noticed I was leaking some oil from the head gasket area.
We are moving in about a month. Approximately 30 miles to the southeast of my current location. We will be up on top of a hill. This house has a lot more driveway and a lot more sidewalks. Talking with neighbors I have found out we will not receive snow removal. The Township I guess has decided that it isn't that important to remove the snow.
I am in a position to purchase any snowblower I want BRAND NEW. Yes, the wife has given me permission. So should I try to repower the old Craftsman around 1989 Vintage or buy something new? If I go new, what in the world do I get? I'm sure I have just opened Pandora's Box with my request. So, I will be inundated with suggestions or no responses at all.
Thanks again for all the help last fall. You guys got me up and running. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Itís not Rocket Science, unless you are building a Rocket!
Itís just easier to take the time to do it myself, so I know itís done right, the first time!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome