Snowblower Forum banner

Unable to find shear pin opening

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Kiss4aFrog 
#1 ·
Greetings!
I know how to replace a shear pin. Problem- When I manually turn the blade,can't find the opening to insert the pin. Tried to turn the blade,but has limited movement

I have a 2-staged snowblower-MTD. It's the blade on the left.

Thanks for your response.

#2 ·
welcome to SBF.
Nothing new. You're going to have to get some good light and just keep spinning auger and looking for it. You may also have to move your auger laterally a bit as well. If only one is broken line up the other side so the pin is facing the front of the machine so the broken one will be in the same position. They'll "shear smooth and it's hard to determine pin metal from shaft metal. You have to look pretty closely some times. Let us know how it turns out.

#3 ·
Yes it can be a pain to find it, I always take them out in the beginning of the season and put anti seize on them just to make sure they come out when needed.

#4 ·
When you do find it, you will have to get a small punch tool to punch it out. Sometimes they warp before they snap, and get stuck in the shaft, and sometimes the auger will "spring" back on the axle shaft, and that makes whats left of the pin even harder to find.

#6 · (Edited)
It would usually be in the same area as the auger on the right side.

You may have to clean that area with some carb/brake cleaner and/or a quick sand with some emery cloth.

You certainly want to pick up a small can of anti-seize. I use it also on all axle, auger and impeller shafts. You will find a million other uses for it, a certain must have for any shop or work area.

#7 ·
Mistake?

It would usually be in the same area as the auger on the right side.

You may have to clean that area with some carb/brake cleaner and/or a quick sand with some emery cloth.

You certainly want to pick up a small can of anti-freeze. I use it also on all axle, auger and impeller shafts. You will find a million other uses for it, a certain must have for any shop or work area.
Did you mean "a small can of anti-seize" not anti-freeze??:nerd:

#12 ·
:welcome: to SBF Hiram Flet

I would choose grease over anti-seize because I'v seen anti-seize dry out in that kind of application. IMHO it works great when you have it between tight fitting fasteners or the like but not so much when it's used where there is an air gap where air gets to it. Some machines come with grease zerks on the augers for just this purpose. When possible I try to install zerks if not already there. But that's just me. Lot's of people are convinced anti-seize is the way to go. In the end, anything is better than nothing and yearly pulling the pins and spinning the augers will tell you if whatever is working or if it's time to do some maintenance before the snow flies. :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.