Snowblower Forum banner

2 good vid's on spark plug thread repair

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  badbmwbrad 
#1 ·
Donyboy73 is up first working on what? Oh yeah, a snowblower!

Steve's Small Engine Saloon:

#2 ·
Good Videos!
I recomend Don's method - using the proper thread chasing tool, it is made of harder material and threads are tapered more than a sparkplug...

On installing sparkplugs in tight places:

Put a short length of hose on the sparkplug to make it easier to turn with your fingers. (If you have to use a sparkplug socket and a long extension (on cars) - only use your hand to start it!!!)

Turn the sparkplug counterclockwise - until you feel the threads "click" then turn it clockwise to tighten it. This aligns the threads and avoids cross - threading. This is especially useful on any fastener that is difficult to start. (Worked on my daughter's belly button ring).

Never ever use force to install a sparkplug! If it doesn't start easily - try another plug or buy the thread chasing tool to clean up the threads.

And if you do screw it up - there are helicoil kits available and thread inserts (as mentioned in the second video). These do require care in installing them. The threaded inserts are good because they will fix a very oversized hole (ask me how I know).

My 2 cents

Allan

#3 ·
I have used the thread chaser tool (that basically Steve makes with plug ) that Dony uses with good success several times. worth it's weight in gold.

had a guy that had this problem and he said it took him 8 hours to remove head, tap out the hole , put it back together and was ecstatic that it worked. i showed him the thread chaser tool and explained how it worked and you should have seen the look on his face. he thought he had saved $300 the shop quoted because they said the head had to be removed.

I told him not to feel bad. the tool does not work in every case and perhaps he did the right thing. also all time working on engines is never wasted time I have learned. He learned how to remove and reinstall a head , learned how to tap out a hole and everything else. That's not wasted time.

Reactions: Zavie
#4 ·
Thanks very much for this tip. I like the small engine saloon's method because it doesn't cost a thing to try and he goes to great lengths to prevent foreign material intrusion.

I would imagine this method could work on other damaged aluminum threads besides spark plug holes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.