Snowblower Forum banner

Stator question...

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike C. 
#1 ·
What should be the voltage output by the stator in a Tec snow king 8hp?
Thanks

#4 ·
You're asking "what voltage?", but do you mean 'how much current (watts)?'
Before we can make a reasonable guesstimate we need to know more about the specifics (engine rpm; alternator type; electrical load).

As for the voltage question, that depends upon the engine speed and the electrical load being placed upon the alternator.
For example, at 3200 rpm I have seen 30+ volts (yellow wire, ac, unregulated) with no load.
This voltage will drop as engine rpm drops and/or electrical load is applied, and will be limited to the rating of the attached alternator.

#5 ·
HMSK-80 isn't the part that's going to tell us what flywheel/stator it came with. It's all those letters, numbers after that. Engine Identification - Tecumseh Snow king,Tecumseh Model Number Identification | Tecumseh Carburetor Guide
What Melson said is correct about voltage and I think we are both wondering if you actually wanted to know the output in current(watts). Usually on most economy machines you're going to have an 18 watt output when there is only one wire. That's the bare bones (cheapest) one the manufacturers spec if the blower is going to have a light only.

#6 ·
Ok. The reason I ask is, I hooked up two LED lights and I put a capacitor in the line to stop any flickering. I believe my solder joint failed and the next thing I know, the cap exploded. I was thinking it wrecked the stator. I was able to get a good used one. I checked mine and at full throttle it’s putting out about 7 volts. I believe the jolt also cooked my lights as there’s power to them, but they don’t light up.

Would that damage the stator? Should I replace it?

#8 ·
Ok. The reason I ask is, I hooked up two LED lights and I put a capacitor in the line to stop any flickering. I believe my solder joint failed and the next thing I know, the cap exploded. I was thinking it wrecked the stator. I was able to get a good used one. I checked mine and at full throttle it’s putting out about 7 volts. I believe the jolt also cooked my lights as there’s power to them, but they don’t light up.

Would that damage the stator? Should I replace it?
You may have damaged the alternator coil, depending on how long it took the capacitor to explode. The alternator coil delivers AC current. A good coil should produce an AC voltage roughly in the 20 to 30 volt range at full throttle with nothing but the AC volt meter attached. You state that your coil is putting out 7 volts but it's not clear whether that is the original coil or the replacement coil. If it is the original coil I suggest replacing it, 7 volts is too low for an unloaded coil. You can look at the coil windings to determine how much damage was done. If the coil looks burned and black you have significant damage. LED lights operate on DC current unless the specifications specifically say they can operate on AC. You probably used an electrolytic capacitor, that type of capacitor is polarized and must only be used in a DC circuit. To convert the AC current from the alternator to DC current you need a bridge rectifier in the circuit before the capacitor.

Test your lights by connecting them to a 12 volt battery (car battery), using the correct polarity. You also must know how much current your LED lights draw. The alternator is most likely only rated for 18 watts. Generally, two LED lights will exceed that rating.

This thread will have everything you need to know about adding LED lights to your snowblower.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...rading-your-snowblower-lights-led-lights.html

Reactions: db130
#7 ·
I think you wired the cap into the ac line. Capacitors work in the DC realm.

I suggest you start with the basics: Disconnect the yellow wire at the ( engine) connection then set your meter for ac voltage, see what you get and report back.

#9 · (Edited)
According to Tecumseh service info:

An HMSK80 with a single yellow wire (18 watt system)from alternator should produce the following voltages at various engine RPMs:

First,connect yellow lead to one terminal of a no.4414 bulb(18 watt).Connect second terminal on bulb to engine ground.Voltage measurements taken across bulb terminals.You will need a tachometer to be accurate.But if you're hitting somewhere near 10 volts at WOT,you're probably good.

1.) 2000 RPMs-6.0 volts AC
2.) 3000 RPMs-8.5 volts AC
3.) 3600 RPMs-10.0 volts AC

Note:These are minimum voltages for each RPM range.

Edit for further info:For anyone looking at this in the future,a common #1141 tail light bulb(bayonet base) is also 12v-18 watt.The 4414 mentioned above is a sealed beam bulb(screw terminals)-much more expensive and getting harder to find in stock in stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.