Snowblower Forum banner

Ariens 926LE vs Deluxe 24?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rod330 
#1 · (Edited)
I've put in my time working on older Ariens snowblowers but I'm hoping you guys can help fill in the blanks when it comes to newer ones. Looking at a couple used snowblowers I can get for $300. One is a 2006 926LE (926001) with a 9HP Tec flathead, taller bucket, pin axles, aluminum gearcase, and chute joystick. It has the twin-belt upgrade. The other is a 2015 Deluxe 24 (921024) with an 254cc AX, lower bucket, Autoturn axles, iron gearcase, and the chute crank over the engine. I'm leaning towards the older one based on the bad things I've read about the 254cc engine and Autoturn.

Am I missing anything? Both are lightly used although the 926 has more wear due to age.

#4 ·
I think those both have the 14" impeller which is good. They should both move snow well. I have a 927le with that 9hp tec, and it moves snow like nothing else I've used. Being it has the dual belt upgrade, and if you can maneuver it well, I'd take the 926le. Great price on both, you wouldn't lose $$ on either of those.

#5 · (Edited)
I would pick the 2015 DeLuxe model 921 as the better choice.

The 926 Le is not a Pro model, it is a full size machine like the 2015 Deluxe model. Essentially the 2015 DeLuxe (model 921) is an evolved version of the 926 full size model, when in 2008 the 926 full size model became the 921 series, and the 926 continued as the Pro only series. (Ref: @sscotsman Ariens info page 9)

The 926 replaced the 924 in 2005 model year, and suffered from impeller belt slip, and wheel drive belt coming off the pulley and snow ingress from the forward part of chassis and difficulty with the chute control that required updates. You have the dual belt kit and you can check for the wheel drive clutch stop on left side of chassis where the bolt is the stop and needs a rubber hose over the bolt threads and zip tied in place. The snow is prevented from entry to the belt area by a shaped metal plate that is attached to the front of the chassis in front of engine. I don't know how to recognise the chute upgrade, but there is probably a U Tube video. The 2015 DeLuxe has fixes in place for the problems of early 926 models. The impeller on the DeLuxe is a 3 blade design with a cup shape and it works well.

I doubt that the Tecumseh SV engine is as good as the LCT 254cc OHV engine in the DeLuxe. I have used the same LCT engine in a Husqvarna 27" model and it is powerful and throws snow with authority. A lot of users like the 254 cc DeLuxe models and the other models in the range, although there are detractors it seems a great machine.

My 2015 Platinum is a 921 series so just as robust as the 2015 DeLuxe but with some additional features. Use the plastic skid shoes and Auto-Turn is excellent. So I would pick the 2015 DeLuxe as the better machine.

Good luck with your choice.

Reactions: Shovel
#10 ·
I've refurbished and resold a number of Ariens snowblowers. Ariens are very strong sellers in the new and used market in my area. However, the one model I will NEVER touch again is the 926. In fact, I consider the 926LE to be the worst lemon ever sold by Ariens. All manufacturers can eventually sell a poorly engineered machine. To Ariens credit, they've made kits available to correct the problems and made design changes in the next series. However, they should have recalled the 926LE and proactively addressed these problems.

Town outlined the flaws perfectly. Once those deficiencies are addressed the 926LE is a very solid machine; as good as any machine in that class. The most expensive fix is the dual belt upgrade but I wouldn't pay over $200 for an otherwise nice looking and running 926LE. You can bank on spending money on the chute and engine cover upgrades....fixing drive belt pulley travel is a cheap and easy fix as Town indicated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.