Snowblower Forum banner

help choosing a new blower

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  db9938 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for advice. I live in the hudson valley about 30 miles north of NYC. The last few winters are proving to be to much for my single stage ariens. forcast says 6" to 16" and we always get the 16". and with that my blower turns into the little engine that could. I did some homework and I'm looking at the Ariens deluxe 28, the 28+, or the Cubcadet 3X 28". The Ariens model numbers are 921030, and 921037, I dont know the Cubcadet's. I'm reading mixed reviews about the Ariens autoturn. My drive is a little more than 2 cars wide and like 10 deep. it has a sweeping turn to the road, so auto turn would be nice to make that arc but not if its going to hook left and right all the time. Is anyone familiar with Cubcadet"s power steering that uses triggers? Will it make arcing turns or does it just turn it around 180* and make another straight pass? How are they on hills my drive is not a skislope but it does bank down to the road. Also, as I am on a county road that gets plowed in all the time, which of these would be the best at handeling that 12" or more of heavy snow left by the plows. Any input would be welcome thanks in advance guys. John

#3 ·
welcome -hobgolbin351 to the forum.........
I have the 2011 deluxe 28. This size would be perfect for your driveway,a strong motor plus a 2 stage 28 inch cut would make clearing out your driveway a snap and especially the buildup at the end of the driveway that the plow likes to deliver.lol If you can find an 2011 model it has the trigger on the left handle for the Autoturn so you decide when you want to do a 180..As you have read some folks like the new autoturn and
some have issues with it. Whatever Ariens you get try to get the heated grips as they work really well.Goodluck with your search.
Dave

#4 ·
Thanks for the input guy. Powershift, why thumbs down on the Cubcadet? Is the 3X stage too new to be reliable, or are Cubs in general just unreliable? One of the guys I work with swears by them. I grew up in the city. So I'm really new to all the power equipment that living up here requires. I know Ariens are pretty much the industry standard. But I thought the new technology might give the 3X a leg up. At least as far as getting through what the plow leaves in the front of my drive. Thats why as far as the Ariens go I'm leaning to the 28+ because it has the bigger engine. The added torque is always a help.

#6 ·
In large part Cub Cadet, is known here, as one of the many labels under the MTD brand. And albeit, in their day, they were a respectfully built machine, that level of quality has waned.

Compare the metal of the bucket between the Ariens and the CC, and you see a difference. But, if you compare a 1980's machine to today's line-up, and in most cases you will also see a difference.

The "third" stage in the center, seems to some as a gimmick. And I might add, it would appear quite susceptible to damaging the auger transmission. This alone, would steer me away from the three stage machine.

Good luck with your decision.

#5 ·
I had an Ariens with the trigger to disengage the left wheel such as loneraider has referenced and I currently have a Ariens with auto turn.

If you can get to your driveway before anyone drives on it, the auto turn (with armor skids) will be a nice blower to manipulate on your dog leg.

If you are going to have to snow blow your driveway after someone has driven on it, then do as loneraider recommends and look for a couple year old ariens, as the auto turn will track as it wants too when you hit the tire tracks.

Reason I got ride of my other ariens is I wanted to adjust the pitch of the chute from the dash and not reach over the blower to do it manually.

As far at the cub cadet's, I have nothing to bring to the table there. Sorry.

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.