Snowblower Forum banner

Do you admire you own work?

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  uberT 
#1 ·
I was thinking about this past winter, after 20 years of blowing out the same driveway(s) I never did this until last year.

I have my shop 150' or so feet behind our house, after one of the many nasty snowfalls we had last year I noticed we had one of our deck chairs in the shop for some reason, not sure why it ended up in the shop but anyway to make a long story longer.......after I got done with 2 hours of snow removal and still stinking of that nice fresh air mixed with exhaust fume perfume permeating from my cloths I opened the big door, turned the jukebox on, sat my butt in the chair, cracked a nice cold beer and admired my work.

I don't recall the exact beer, I know its was a dark beer as that would be my winter choice.

I took the time to smell the snow and I liked it, going to make it a point to slow down a little and smell the snow a little more often.

Maybe I'm just getting old and little off my rocker, well that's ok, I'm happy!

What say you?

#3 ·
never had time to crack a beer open afterwards (2 small kids) but yes.. I`ve looked at what I`ve just finished.. the bigger the storm.. the longer I gawk lol specially the ol place we used to live at.. duplex one drive over 300 meters (over 1200feet) wind constantly blew.. snowdrifts big enough to swallow our then lowly toyota echo were common.. the biggest storm I got threw 18inches at us... took me 16 hours spread over 3 days (including the blowback from the wind afterwards) to get it back fully oppened up.. I stood.. I watched.. I liked... and then I noticed something odd flickering from the heavens..
... more snow.. I kidd you not..

#5 ·
I have done that several times! :)
Finish clearing the driveway, brush off the snowblower and put it back in the garage..and just as im about to close the garage door and go back inside, I stand in the open garage doorway and look out over the scene..Its always very pretty, with all that fresh snow, and the cleared driveway also adds a nice sense of satisfaction to the scene..

Scot

#6 ·
dbcooper: That was a compelling and inspiring little anecdote.

I too take great pride in keeping my driveway clear. I like to keep it scraped right down to the bare concrete. There's something very rewarding about doing a job well and taking pride in doing it. Even though it's only for a short time, knowing there's more snow to come soon, it still feels good to look at a job well done. I guess it's just how we roll.

I think it's also my way of saying that I won't be intimidated by winter or let it beat me. I will triumph over it.

#8 ·
Lol! Are you kidding me? I hate blowing snow. I go out and "get er done" and don't look back. I equate blowing snow with shoveling out our barn when I was a youngster. Yes. I'm happy it's been done but it is only out of necessity that I do it. Wife may need to get out or I may have to get out to help someone else. Much as I dislike it I do a couple (3) neighbor's driveways/sidewalks too. Don't charge. I like to think that one day I may need help and someone will show up and lend a hand.

#10 ·
sometimes when there are about five inches or more to blow i'll look back and admire what I've done but I don't and cannot sit in a chair in my garage

#12 ·
I get done and go in and get changed and look out the bay window.
Yep, admiring my work. :D

#13 ·
When we are about half way thru the snow season, to the point where the snow is piles up a few feet, I do admire the nice crisp wall of snow down my driveway once I'm done.

Never sat my arse in a chair, but have had a beer and a shot, or six, of peach moonshine (yes, I may have a issue with that) while bullsh1ting with a couple of the neighbors.

#14 ·
some of my neighbors got new snowblowers last year, I just loved the look on their face when they realized my '86 toro 521 was throwing more snow and throwing it farther than their new machines and I don't even have an impeller kit

#15 ·
Absolutely! Just like I admire my lawn after cutting it with my simplicity sunstar with lawn striper.

We have a lot of snow to move from our property. So when its all said and done I have to admire what I have accomplished. I have to admit I'm pretty wiped out when its done. So I usually have a bowl of chowder and a couple of beers, watching the wind blow snow back onto where I just finished removing.

#16 ·
Do you admire you own work?
Always. And we're typically the first house on the street to have a clean drive and the ability to come 'n' go as we please :)

The majority of the neighbors rely upon various plow services and are sometimes 12 - 24 hrs waiting for the drivers to arrive and clean things up. However, I do notice that a few of them, the more self-reliant types, have gone out and purchased machines so they don't have to depend upon the plow drivers and their broken-down equipment.

#17 ·
I almost hate to go here but we have a few neighbors who use a plow service and to me it just does not look that good when they are done, I would not like to be the guy across the street who the plow guy pushes the snow too.

Must be the engineer me, I prefer the nice straight lines I get with the blower:)

#18 ·
LOL, me too, for certain.

The snow "thrower" has a huge advantage in that it can place the snow far away from the drive, off into the woods, for example. The snow plow guy can only build mountains of snow at the edge of the paved surfaces. These piles get pretty substantial over the course of the season. I'm also not willing to accept the damage they do to the turf and plants/bushes adjacent to the drive. In fact, this is probably the primary reason I DIY...I can't stand seeing all the destruction come Spring :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.