Snowblower Forum banner

Yardman Snowbird 26" cut with Tecumseh 8hp auger pulley removal model 318000 F249B

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Elalba 
#1 ·
Yardman Snowbird 26" cut with Tecumseh 8hp auger pulley removal model 318000 F249B

Hi everyone,

Very new to this page and almost equally new to DIY snowblower maintenance. I just picked up a what I believe to be an early 80's Yardman Snowbird (really an MTD I guess, according to most of what I've seen online) that I haven't been able to find much info on. The model number is 318000 F249B and it's got a Tecumseh SBH 351A. I didn't look it over all that closely before I bought it (I was taken in by the price and rugged look of the beast) and am finding that it needs some work. My biggest problem now is I need to replace the impeller shaft bearing but I can't for the life of me get the pulley off. I easily removed the bolt that I assume holds the pulley to the shaft, but no amount of heat/prying/swearing has succeeded in getting the pulley to budge. There are no set screws on the bottom of the pulley; it looks like it might have slid right off way back when. I should back up and say that aside from the bearing being pretty worn out, the pulley itself is pretty seriously out of balance, not sure how much of that is my fault. I tried to apply even pressure but I'm sure I didn't always...

Anyone have any familiarity with this machine? I'd greatly appreciate the help. I'm really trying to avoid taking it to the shop, at which point I'd likely have as much into it as if I bought a much newer (though not as solidly built, maybe) machine.

Thanks very much!

See less See more
#5 ·
umm...I see in the picture, the shaft is just flush with the face of the pulley. just center the point of your puller there in that little hole, and put the claws on the outside of the pulley, and see if it comes off.

#6 ·
Thats what I thought too, but it the first image, it appears that there is cap over the whole. At first, it did indeed look like the shaft is flush to the collar, but if you look at the into the hole, there appears to be a bit of a gap. You may need a sacrificial bolt to use a traditional puller. I would be extra carful, to not bend it out of true.

You may instead try using a couple pry bars on the collar, from behind it.

#7 ·
It looks like a flat washer stuck to the pulley. Have you tried knocking it off with a hammer and flat blade screw driver?

#8 ·
Thank you all for taking a close look at it. I tried my best to apply equal pressure with pry bars after several applications of PB Blaster and quite a few heat/cool cycles but I still didn't have any luck. I don't have a puller right now but will definitely be picking one up. The pulley ended up getting bent. My uncle, who works at the the local small engine shop, stopped by to check it out and I decided to send it along with him as I was having a very hard time tracking parts down for this model. I'm still going to need to put it all back together, and I think I'm going to take a link out of one of the drive chains to tighten it up as it's pretty sloppy right now.

Does anyone have access to a manual for this model?

Yardman Snowbird 318000 F259B

I'm going to bite the bullet for the repair bill this time but would like to avoid it for future repairs. It seems the shop has the manual in their database as they were able to quote me prices for OEM parts.

#9 ·
I should back up and say that aside from the bearing being pretty worn out, the pulley itself is pretty seriously out of balance, not sure how much of that is my fault. I tried to apply even pressure but I'm sure I didn't always...
You probably did, but it's honestly not your fault :)

I've run into this a few times. You can't use a jaw puller because the pulley will get bent like a boat prop. You can't pry behind it because there's no thick boss at the bottom of the pulley.

I've tried torching and twisting, I've tried hammering a sharp flat bladed screwdriver from the back side, and those work sometimes. But if not, don't feel bad.....I've had some that I just had to bend the snot out of or cut off in order to replace that bearing.

#10 ·
the problem is, they are pinning and pressing these new machines together to get them out the door and make production quantity and sell them- but they are not made to take apart

shame on them

the way to remove that pulley, is drill holes in it near the center shaft area, one on each end of the shaft, or 3 in a circular pattern and bolt on a steering wheel puller, or harmonic balancer puller, with nuts and bolts, then tighten the puller and pull it off.

I struggled with some pulleys on power equipment and just wondered WTH the engineers were thinking when they designed this. they should have been fired or demoted to janitor for making a pulley that won't come off. that's all I'm going to say about that....it's like making a door that won't open

#11 ·
Here's a thought, thread a grease nipple into the hole, you may need to use adapters. And pump it out hydraulically. Maybe be messy, but less destructive.

#12 ·
If you could find someone with a hydraulic press, it should work if you can support it well on the far side. I also like the harmonic balancer remover method if that is all you can come up with.

Cheap design!

#13 ·
My model Yard Man Snowbird is: Model 31600 Serial F289B

This is a multi-speed machine. I was in process of changing speeds when it stuck/jammed in gear. I believe it is stuck in 2nd gear, but I'm not sure. No amount of pushing or forcing the shift lever would move anything. I took off the back plate and removed the shifter lever (cotter pin) but am unable to move the connecting lever or move the gears manually. I'm reluctant to "crowbar" the lever as I don't know in which direction nor do I want to break anything. How can I best get the gears to move?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.