Snowblower Forum banner

Side jobs

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  cdestuck 
#1 ·
It's funny how word gets around when you're able to repair snowblowers, along with other machines. This past weekend I received a couple calls from various people in regards to repairing their Ariens or just doing a regular tuneup. Over the past years, I receive calls from neighbors, friends, and friends of friends. As time progresses, I continue with my regular customers along with one or two extra.

I'll only do work on Ariens and Toro single stage.
The current job I have is replacing a friction disc on a 932xxx. First time doing it on this model, should be easy enough.

I don't really charge anything for these jobs except for the cost of parts and then maybe a few bucks to cover gas for picking up & bringing back the blower. Of course, the customers still give me some extra coin though. I'm just glad to be able to help others instead of having them get screwed over by some small engine mechanics in the area.

I know many of you folks do your own work, but do you go ahead and take on any side jobs, as well?

#2 ·
Job well done SlowRider. Still good people in the world willing to help out when needed. Hold your head high for doing this.

Nutting worse then seeing someone getting screwed over, knowing you could have help avoid that.

I helped a coworker do some routine maintenance on his Ryobi (MTD) this afternoon.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks, it's the little things in life like this that matter to me. I'll keep doing these repairs because my customers genuinely appreciate it.

I wouldn't be afraid to expand the brands you do if you want the work. I work on about anything and their all basically the same to a large degree. And the net and you tube helps a ton in a pinch. Actually like getting a hold of diff machines. Learn more each time.
It's not that I'm afraid of expanding, I actually embrace it. It is, however, a matter of time and convenience...at least for working on other people's machines. I'm a full-time student and work 3 jobs, so being able to work on Ariens is quick and easy job for me to do, therefore I can get them done in a timely manner respective to my other priorities.

#5 ·
I find your work laudable but I also think it's dangerous to lump getting screwed by small engine mechanics as they earn a living by doing this kind of work of course there will always be some bad apples. Just my opinion.

#6 ·
I'm not trying to be condescending towards mechanics as a few whole, as I only mentioned some of them, but there are a few select ones that provide very poor services. Hence the reasoning of me mentioning it in my original post.

#7 ·
I understand the reservations, but i'm also in a market that will soon lose the only OPE shop because he is retiring.

I too, help co-workers, friends, family, and of course their associations. And like you slow, I charge nothing but parts. The main reason, is also the reason that I explain to them, I'm not a professional. I have no factory training, or formal OPE training, other than a high school class I took.

If they press me on the issue, I usually say a roll of paper towels. It's something that I think we can all agree, we use while we work. Or if it's somebody I know that appreciates an adult beverage, I might suggest a 6-pack. But money is, except for parts which I always discuss before ordering, is a part of the discussion.

#8 ·
You need to be very selective, I know they need to make a living or they will do something else. However, Most of the small engine shops around me are focused on the high end and Commercial equipment. They really don't service the homeowner with an MTD or older machine very well.

My neighbor has a 6 yr old Honda snow blower and he told me the Honda dealer wants $300 for a tune up. I am not sure what they do but it sounds outrageous to me. I would like to assume that includes pick up and delivery but he did not say.

#9 ·
I keep 5 Honda snowblowers looked after. Same as you guys, parts and maybe a beverage and a cigar. One of the machines went to the dealership before I got to it for a $450 tuneup, and I had to fix slipping belts when it came back!

#10 · (Edited)
It's funny how word gets around when you're able to repair snowblowers, along with other machines. This past weekend I received a couple calls from various people in regards to repairing their Ariens or just doing a regular tuneup. Over the past years, I receive calls from neighbors, friends, and friends of friends. As time progresses, I continue with my regular customers along with one or two extra.?

there is demand for mechanical work amongst friends, family, acquaintances. back when I was in my early 20's and into old cars heavy, word got around and I had a car in the driveway every weekend at my parent's house, carb rebuilds, brakes, setting timing/dwell on old points ignitions, etc.

when I got my own garage a number of friends brought their cars in for total engine rebuilds. F150 302, Buick 455, Chevy 350's, Olds 350, Mopar 440, Mopar 318, Pontiac 400, 428, 455, Buick V6, Chevy V6, quite a few more....head gaskets changes, etc. on some smaller stuff. Looking back and remembering, just about all the work was friends, but word of mouth, and from guys that you would never think would spring for a $2000-$2500 motor rebuild (going price at the time). but once they know the work is reliable, the person honest, they bring it in.

the biggest detractor from people getting older machines fixed, is the many ripoff repair shops out there, and the ones that simply charge too much- they believe they have to, to cover their overhead. that's why a small home-based shop would have an advantage.

I'm convinced this market still exists. How big it is, don't know. may not be enough to live big on, but it would eek a living out. If one had a home with a garage and a few acres of land to store machines, you could take them all in, line them up, repair one at a time, and put them out front for sale. they'd sell and a profit would be made. not a huge profit mind you, but a profit just the same. considering what they go for now new in the store, it would be easy to undercut the price of a new machine and still make some.

I have an acquaintance who does this with vacuum cleaners, he's had a successful repair shop now for years. most of his sales are used repairs.

the only diff is, vacuums get used year round, snowblowers only in the winter months. so it would be lean in the summer.

#11 ·
the only diff is, vacuums get used year round, snowblowers only in the winter months. so it would be lean in the summer.
I wouldn't say that is true. Anyone that would fix snow blowers would also be fixing lawn mowers and roto tillers. Most say hand held trimmers and blowers aren't really worth it after you factor in time and parts and what you can actually sell them for.

#15 ·
That's why I only work on certain machines, because I know how to properly repair them and not have to worry about screwing something up due to lack of knowledge.

#16 ·
I don't have people asking me to work on there ope. I do keep my machines up and running along with my brothers and my friends alexander and Andrew. I don't have room in the garage to do much and when it warms up I'm on my Goldwing and on the road when I have time. bob and roy each have ope repair shops, do good work and are much cheaper than taking a machine to a dealer

#18 ·
I used to do a lot of buying and selling years ago, more out of necessity than anything else. Back in 2009 when the recession hit my field the hardest, my bonus checks evaporated and I found myself trying to find other means of survival. I started buying selling and repairing machines. I would sell them with free delivery and my machines averaged about 2-3 hours on Craigslist before they were sold. I'm a good, honest mechanic and I would never let one go out the door that I didn't trust. I always had more customers than I did machines.

Then, scrap prices started getting stratospheric and that by and large was the end of the availability of inexpensive machines to fix and sell....at least here. Now all I see out here is junk for premium prices.

I still do snowblower repairs occasionally, usually people end up finding me after they got screwed on Craigslist for a machine that has ancient gas and a quick rattle can paint job over the rust. They think that since it *looks* new, it should be better than that old rusty machine they have that's served them well for decades.

#20 ·
Well, those are all methods of payment which is along the line. I once did a GM diagnostic for a friend for free because I have a TechII, you should have seen the bums and Yahoos that started coming to my place sometimes unannounced, well I quickly put a stop to that by charging $20, now only serious people come over. I don't mind helping, in fact I love helping and teaching others.

#22 ·
Oh cripes, I didn't realize you had random people coming to you. I definitely understand where you're coming from in that regard. I've been fortunate to have only interacted with folks that I knew or were good friends of friends.

#21 ·
I started small engine repair about 18 months ago. I purchased my new home along with a gorgeous Snapper Hi Vac self Propelled. It started running rough. Mot having the time being a new home owner with projects. I got it tuned for 125 at my local small engine shop. I delivered and picked it up. During ten minutes of use the same problem recurred and the shop said bring it back it for a 60 diagnosis plus etc.
That was my tipping point. Since then Ive been doing my own thing. Word do get around fast. Soon I was helping neighbors, family, co workers ,etc. I dont ad much on top if anything sometimes.
My profits usually come my good deed.and I'll have equipment given to me or sold at a low rate.
Also dont think of any machinery as disposable. Big business love it and small shops hate them because they can't charge you 125 labor for a hundred dollar trimmer. My co worker recently walked into one with a Ryobi trimmer plus unit and they sent him out the door saying throw it out. New fuel line kit 7 dollars,even came with the line fishing tool. I got him up amd running. I don't care if i new one cost 100 or 1000 if fixing it cost less than 60 percent of the unit get the unit fixed.

#24 ·
On the side

I still do some work for friends and relatives on the side. Most time it's materials/parts plus some refreshments. I prefer to buy a machine, rebuild it on my schedule then sell it in the fall. Problem is I've had a couple of times where I told the person the fix was iffy, it may or not correct their issue because there could be additional conditions present. they don't always hear that 'could be more' and are disappointed when the first fix does not fix all their issues (eg needs a tuneup plus there could be a bearing or bushing issue).

I've also had some people who know someone I know show up wanting cheap or free work done. Quite frankly I don't have that kind of free time, I work plus I have a side business in addition to fixing up blowers so my free time is limited to when I can work on blowers. It's usually 'it doesn't run' and can you do something cheap to make it like new - doesn't always happen. Then if you offer them something to buy their machine as a parts unit, they can be offended by what you're willing to pay them for it as some think it's made of gold.

#25 ·
I've done a ton of both repair and snowblowing for neighbors and folks in the past and can tell you they get used to free service, forget how to say thanks and begin to expect you to do for them. When my first blower came near the end of its life, I thought to myself that 3/4 of the life of this machine has been spent on others and now I'm faced with paying for a new machine by myself. Thinking I would still have a lot of life in this machine and that as I walk around in the blowing snow while these neighbors sit nice and snug in front of their tvs sort of got to me.

So I pulled up my pants up and spoke to these folks. The one offered two hundred bucks and a hundred a year for all his blowing which I agreed to and another neighbor offered to pay for a third of a new machine. So I did this all and other neighbors have no problem at paying 20 bucks a pop.

So I learned that people will take ya for free but will and have no problem paying a bit for service. And these neighbors know they get good quick service and do pay a lot less than a pro service would charge.

As for repairs, I usually pocket 20 to 30 bucks for a repair that doesn't require something major like pulling the bucket off and I know all these people know theyre being charged quite fairly. Hey, they get paid when they work, so should I.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.