Snowblower Forum banner

Ariens Deluxe 28" Heavy auger

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CarlB 
#1 ·
I just purchase a new Ariens Deluxe 28" Model 921030. Is it normal that my auger is heavy to lift from the handle bars. My dad has an older 30" model and you can lift the auger really easy from the handle bars. I notice his engine is more behind the wheels than mine. My engine is pretty much on top of the wheels. Is it normal now that the auger is heavier to lift from the handle bars compare with the older model.

Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, as for your new snow blower it is preferable to have it balanced front heavy for it to dig under the packed snow.
However many members here change the OEM skids for the Armor skids, it seems the Auto Turn behave much better as many can maneuver their unit with one hand, at least from their report. Good Luck

#3 ·
Thanks it's not the turning I'm having an issue with. My drive way is up on a small hill so usually I start from the road and blow up the driveway. Then lift he auger up a bit and just let it come back down the drive way. Then blow the driveway up again. But man with the weight of the auger now after 4 - 5 rows of reversing it gets heavy of lifting up the auger. That's why I was wondering if you can balance the thing better with less weight in front. Also he was out of chain for the wheel so I had to blow with no chain. When you have Ice in the driveway and frozen slush you need to lift the auger a bit also to move forward because it keeps spinning and I'm not sure if it's a good thing that easy steering. When it spins and you push on it try to make it go forward it thinks it has to turn so most of the time I'm trying to keep it straight and that darn thing thinks I want to turn left or right. So you try to keep it straight, plus push it and lifting the auger a bit at the same time it get heavy in no time. I just hope those chain will make a big difference that it want spin as much and it want try to zigzag less but yes if someone could tell me if you can balance the auger better let me know. Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks it's not the turning I'm having an issue with. My drive way is up on a small hill so usually I start from the road and blow up the driveway. Then lift he auger up a bit and just let it come back down the drive way. Then blow the driveway up again.

I just hope those chain will make a big difference that it want spin as much and it want try to zigzag less but yes if someone could tell me if you can balance the auger better let me know. Thanks.
I fail to understand why you don't want to snow blow up and down as a snow blower is not meant to be used as you do and it would be easier to snow blow going down. By the sound of it you would very much like a set of chains. Please keep the Armor skids in mind as they help a lot with the squirrelling.

#5 ·
I live in the city and we have a duplex so not a lot of place to throw the snow. My driveway is only a 2 cars long and 2 cars wide. Usually I start in the middle of the Duplex and throw it at the end of the duplex and after a while I can throw the snow in between my duplex and the other building. If I go towards the road I don't have a lot of place to put it.

#9 ·
you could hang weight behind the tractor housing the help counterbalance the front. You could probably zip tie a couple lengths of 1 or 1.5" pvc pipe filled with lead weights or steel shot behind the uprights on the handle bars to help with the counter balance. the farther rearward the weight the less weight will be needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.