Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums - View Single Post - Auger handle adjustment
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given):
Thanks (Received):
Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw73nh View Post
Anyway, last year I had an issue with the auger lever not DISENGAGING when released. It felt like stiction, or a binding cable perhaps. I examined it as best I could and lubed the questionable points but to no avail. This is a safety issue, as when I release the auger lever, it stays engaged for quite some time until vibration eventually causes it to release.

The only way I could find to alleviate the issue was to remove the (auger clutch lever spring as pictured above.). I know this is only a band-aid fix, and was hoping for a more permanent solution.

Could the two issues be related, and I just need to disassemble the levers and shafts, give them a good cleaning and lube?

Any advice much appreciated.
First, for safety reasons, you should not use the machine until the auger-not-stopping issued is resolved.

Next, it could be a simple fix, like cleaning and lubricating the lever/linkage, inspecting the cable for binding, rust, damage, etc.

Going deeper, the auger engagement is done by a tension roller that tightens a belt that drives the auger gearbox. There are four springs, and an a rather complex system of pivots, rollers, and a brake system that are used to start (and fully stop) the auger. Failure, wear, rust, grease, etc. of/on one or more of these parts might cause the auger to not stop quickly when the lever is released.

A complete inspection of the auger engagement lever and possibly the tensioner/brake is needed to really find the true cause. Due to the safety aspect of this problem, I'd really encourage you to have a Honda dealer go over it and do a proper diagnosis.

You can find a dealer close to you with this link:
Find A Honda Dealer

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome