Snowblower Forum banner

1968 Ariens Snow Thro - Restoration

9K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  69ariens 
#1 ·
I was recently given this snow thro because it stopped moving for the previous owner and had been sitting for about 10 yrs. I started to work on it and discovered it had no spark, so I removed the fly wheel cleaned it and set the points. That solved the spark problem. Then I had to take the carb apart and clean it and replace the bowl gasket. I was then able to get it running and it sounds pretty good. Replaced the friction plate and that solved the not moving problem Everything else seemed to function properly so I took it apart and repainted what i could. It's not perfect and could use a new muffler, but I don't think it looks too bad for being 47 years old.:)

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the welcome to the forum.

Ariensman, I used Glossy Lobster Red from Walmart. It's probably not an exact match but it seems pretty close.

I didn't have access to a sandblaster so I used a power sander and some hand sanding. I am not much of a painter and there are a few runs, but I was mainly interested in keeping it from rusting. I have been telling my friends that I hope it snows soon so I can try it out. If "looks could kill" they'd be planting me.

#17 ·
thats the weirdest name for a color i have ever heard, but its a close match. I use duplicolor de1620 and its close to that color but a little brighter
DE1620 seems to be the "standard" used to closest match the original color.

But I'm still impressed with the rebuild. Wish I'd get off my rear and get my two Ariens into that nice of shape.

#15 · (Edited)
Rob711,
Yes, I added the impeller kit while I was restoring it. I had read the suggestions to do so online, so I added it.

Stang,
It was just silver spray paint from Walmart. I don't think there was a color number on it, but I will check for sure. The original bars were chrome.

Here is a link to some addition photos if anyone is interested.

1968 Ariens Snow Thro - Restored Slideshow by slabseeker | Photobucket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.