Snowblower Forum banner

Trying to remove scraper bar

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Snoopy#1 
#1 ·
I have a older 835 Gilson that I am trying to remove the scraper bar. The bolt heads are flat and even with penetrating oil, I cant get the nuts off without turning the bolts while I turn the wrench. Nothing to grab onto as far as the bolt (as they are flat). Any tricks that I might try? Also, should the bar be on the inside or outside of the Auger box? This one has it on the outside, but I have seen other makes and models the other way around.

Thanks

Art

#2 ·
Usually they are carriage bolts and heavily rusted on and ground down. I generally cut them off as new ones are cheap and easy to get at any hardware store. Be careful trying to unscrew them as they might be twisting the square holes in the frame and stripping them out.

I bought one of those cheap $15 Harbor Freight angle grinders and a cheap pack of discs for it. Some of the best money I have ever spent.

#5 ·
For the nuts issue, if you have the room, cut the nut and bolt right in the midle, the nut will split and the bolt would come off (you can use a saw or a cut-off tool). If this does not work, grind the remaining part of the head of the bolt and it will come apart. Or you can drill the center of the head of the bolt to the size of the threaded part of the bolt and it will come apart.
I've seen all scraper bars on the front side of the housing.

#7 ·
Your 835 circa 1967-69 will be a tough customer.

If you want to try to salvage the originals here is what I do:
1) Spray with Kroil, PB Blaster etc.
2) Use a disc grinder to remove the protruding bolt, this will eliminate the buggered up threads.
3) More penetrating lubricant
4) Clamp the bolt with a pair of special pliers
Metalworking hand tool Metal

Auto part

5) Remove with a 6 point socket on a ratchet or impact wrench
6) If that does not do the trick then blow it away with a grinder, cold chisel or air hammer.
7) Some will be held firmly but will snap rather than unscrew.
8) Heat should help too

Replacements found here.

Pete

#9 ·
One busted off one forgetting righty tighty lefty loosey the rest were tough. I wedged a hefty pry bar between the box and scraper bar so not to strip out the holes in the box when I got the 30 year old nuts 1/2 loose and that did it after another shot of PB blaster and the socket

#10 · (Edited)
If the heads are stripped, worn down, from abrasion on the asphalt or concrete, it was too long before adjustment or replacement was performed.

Nice thing about welding, Arc or MIG, you can weld on another edge, sometimes without removing the old edge if there's enough edge left.

I loosen them with a ratchet hoping they come loose, if not hoping they break, snap off, if not I use a vice grips for the same, then.... this is the reason I own a oxy-acetylene torch. Heat, MAPP, Propane, works well for loosening if you need to use a vise grip.

When installing use Never-Seize.

#12 ·
Im doing the same thing now. with the outrageous cost of scraper bars Im starting to make my own. with my old one I just cut all the studs down, drilled out the holes and installed carriage style bolts and tack welded the heads to bar. a lot less work.

Reactions: Tony-chicago
#15 ·
I usually tilt them back and use an air cut off tool.

(Many times, if a carriage bolt hole has rounded, I have used a serrated interior washer under the carriage bolt head prior to installation, usually gives it enough bite from the head spinning while tightening it up.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.