Snowblower Forum banner

Which size Drainzit hose for 420cc?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cliff355 
#1 ·
Greetings:

I have a 2015 Hydro Pro Track with a 420cc motor and would like to put on a drainzit hose. Any idea which thread diameter I should order? Thanks.

#7 ·
Well, my 10mm drainzit hose came and it was too small. So I took the oil drain pipe off and brought it into Northern Tool where they had the whole array of drainzit hoses. The ¼” size is what fits Ariens’s 420xx Briggs & Stratton motor.

Unfortunately, I was not able to install this hose due to the oil drain’s position under the engine. Drainzit’s threads are brass and require some effort to turn into place. There is not enough space to get a wrench in there to get this done, so I put the oil drain pipe back on.

However, the reason I wanted to replace this drain pipe in the first place is the cap would not come off the end in spite of anything I did. Last year a fellow suggested that I could heat up the end of this pipe, burn out the “locktight” and unscrew it easily. Rather than follow his advice I decided to get a drainzit hose, but this turned out to be unworkable.

So, I heated up the pipe as originally directed and the cap came off just fine. Actually, I am not that unhappy about the drainpipe as long as the cap will come off so all is well, more or less.

Also, I certainly do not fault Powershit’s advice on the drainzit hose’s sizing. There seems to be quite a bit of mystery over what hose fits what motor. The drainzit site says 3/8” hoses fit most Briggs & Stratton motors, but that size is definitely too big for the 420cc.

Prior to posting my question on the forum, I asked the dealership what the oil drain size was. They fiddled around on their computer for a while and said they did not know and could not find out. So, I went to the Briggs & Stratton site, “chatted” with a representative and was told to check with a dealership. Therefore, the specific size hose for a specific motor is not common knowledge and will require measurement and/or comparison to determine.

These hoses are great though, and if I was a commercial operator who had to change oil all the time I would take this machine into the dealership and direct them to get the hose on there one way or another. As is, I only have to change oil once a year at the most and will get by just fine with the pipe.

#9 ·
Well, my 10mm drainzit hose came and it was too small. So I took the oil drain pipe off and brought it into Northern Tool where they had the whole array of drainzit hoses. The ¼” size is what fits Ariens’s 420xx Briggs & Stratton motor.

Unfortunately, I was not able to install this hose due to the oil drain’s position under the engine. Drainzit’s threads are brass and require some effort to turn into place. There is not enough space to get a wrench in there to get this done, so I put the oil drain pipe back on.

However, the reason I wanted to replace this drain pipe in the first place is the cap would not come off the end in spite of anything I did. Last year a fellow suggested that I could heat up the end of this pipe, burn out the “locktight” and unscrew it easily. Rather than follow his advice I decided to get a drainzit hose, but this turned out to be unworkable.

So, I heated up the pipe as originally directed and the cap came off just fine. Actually, I am not that unhappy about the drainpipe as long as the cap will come off so all is well, more or less.

Also, I certainly do not fault Powershit’s advice on the drainzit hose’s sizing. There seems to be quite a bit of mystery over what hose fits what motor. The drainzit site says 3/8” hoses fit most Briggs & Stratton motors, but that size is definitely too big for the 420cc.

Prior to posting my question on the forum, I asked the dealership what the oil drain size was. They fiddled around on their computer for a while and said they did not know and could not find out. So, I went to the Briggs & Stratton site, “chatted” with a representative and was told to check with a dealership. Therefore, the specific size hose for a specific motor is not common knowledge and will require measurement and/or comparison to determine.

These hoses are great though, and if I was a commercial operator who had to change oil all the time I would take this machine into the dealership and direct them to get the hose on there one way or another. As is, I only have to change oil once a year at the most and will get by just fine with the pipe.
I did not know it was a BRIGGS motor on it. I thought it was 1 of those clown engines. it will be 1/4 inch then 4 the BRIGGS MOTOR.. MY BAD ON THAT 1.:facepalm_zpsdj194qh:facepalm_zpsdj194qh

#8 ·
Cliff,

I would email Bob the inventor at his website drainzit.com

I contacted him last year when I was considering getting one of these for my new snowblower to discuss customizing the length of the tube etal. He was a pleasure to talk to and called me back within a few days as he was on vacation.

To make a long story short, he was going to customize a drainzit tube for my machine if it was required and just sell one directly to me. Fortunately when my machine was shipped this was not necessary.

I can tell you that this drainzit tube really is awesome and works great. I used to have an old Ariens with that stupid metal spout and had a custom tray to drain the oil which was always a mess. I like to keep things neat and tidy and this drainzit tube made changing oil a breeze.

Best wishes.

#10 ·
Thankee for the comment. I think I will email Bob and see if he has any ideas on how I can get that hose turned on without taking the whole engine off. There is nothing wrong with that hose and it is obvious that it would make oil changes very simple.

Maybe it would be worth it to unbolt the engine and install the hose, but I’m not a mechanic and don’t play one on TV. However, I will keep giving the matter some thought and hang on to that hose for the time being.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.