Snowblower Forum banner

First fall startup - something isn't right

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MuncieM22 
#1 ·
First time poster. Thanks for having me! I have a 2000 30" Toro Powerthrow snowblower. Started it up last night for the first time this fall to do a test run in case we get something tonight. Anywho, it never quite ran to full power, and after a couple of minutes, sparks would occasionally come out the muffler/exhaust. I had changed the oil in it this spring before I put it away, and noticed last night that the oil level was 3/16" above the full mark. Might this be the cause? I had a tune up done last winter, btw. Any help is appreciated!

#10 ·
Having a bit more than "Full" on the stick isn't going to cause a problem. If you do get it way overfull then the crankshaft can whip the oil into a froth which doesn't do the engine or the oil any good and will break down the oil very quickly but won't cause any running issues.

From what you're describing it's likely valves or fuel.

#11 ·
You said the fuel tank was drained. But did you actually run the engine out of gas ? What I mean is, was the carburetor run out of gas ? If not, residual gas in the carburetor would likely go bad, gum up, and clog/restrict passages in the carburetor, causing a run lean condition. This could cause what you describe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.