Snowblower Forum banner

Fuel shut-off valve stuck

22K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Kiss4aFrog 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie here.

I got my Ariens 28 Deluxe in February of 2015 and it worked great (snowy winter in Maine last year). After it finally stopped snowing, I ran the machine dry and changed the oil as per the instructions. I also left the fuel shut-off valve in the OFF position.

A few days ago, during our first snow, I went to start the machine and could only turn the fuel shut-off valve part way open. So…I can't start the machine. Any ideas as to what's going on? The shop can't pick it up (I don't have a truck) until the 7th, just before another snow storm. I'd love to get this thing going before then (and save myself some $$).

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
:welcome: to the forum

If the line is long enough, remove the line from the valve and stick it straight on the tank so you can use it for now.

They shouldn't need to pick it up as it would be stupid to drag it all the way back to the shop and then back to you when anyone can simply replace the three-five buck valve on site in a couple minutes. I sure don't understand their thinking.

If I were you and working it some didn't fix it I'd likely just get one at a hardware store, big box, auto supply and just be down with it.

Briggs & Stratton Inline Fuel Shut Off Valve-698183 - The Home Depot

http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/fuel-shut-off-valve

#5 ·
If you get desperate remove the valve and just connect it it up (if the hose is long enough)
Remember to pinch off the line so the gas doesn't run out all over the place!
If not, buy a new length of hose and a new shut off valve. Any auto supply house or box store lawn section has that stuff on hand.

EDIT - JINX! we posted at the same time! lol

#7 ·
Thanks all for the replies.

I've tried working it back and forth a few times. It always hits resistance about half-way to OPEN. I'd rather not break it and have gas leaking onto the garage floor (though, I could siphon most of it out first, I guess).

As far as replacing the valve, I think my machine has an Ariens engine…or do they all have Briggs & Stratton? Would they both use the same valve?

What's involved with replacing the valve? Is it just a matter of removing the housing around it and removing the clamps? Can't be that easy…can it?

Thanks again.

#8 ·
Is it that easy? YES! You are getting sound advice from all above.

As kiss a frog said why in the world would they send out truck and pick up the machine for a 5 minute fix?????? They may be doing this to inconvenience you so you will not bother them for such a minor repair. (cynical I know!) They will likely loose money on it. Even if they are reimbursed by Ariens for the $5 part.

You could try taking it out of the machine and get a good look at the inside and see what is binding it up. YOu may be able to free it and reinstall it.

It may be under warrantee but you can fix this yourself much faster and be ready for the next snow.

If you need to, you can buy a kit containing a shut off valve with 1/4" hose at Lowes for under $10. You just need a pliers to undo the hose clamps.

Don't forget to drain or clamp the hose upstream to prevent a flood.

I wish all problems were 1/2 as easy to solve.
You will be fine. Good Luck.

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog
#11 ·
Don't fret if you bust it you can get a 5 pack of those nice inline tiny valves on Ebay for $7. I put them in everything and my new trick is to use it to run the machine dry when I am done. It's cheap insurance when dealing with todays garbage gas.
Your mileage may vary but I never had any valve stick so bad that it couldn't be freed. If you are comfortable with tools at all just take a pair of plyers to the finger grips and gently work it back and forth a bit. If it will move at all it will eventually with a bit of careful help. It's probably just a tad tight but once you move it a few times it will wear in and work fine.

#15 ·
What I'm thinking

Thanks dbert.

It may well be buried behind the housing as it is a new machine. I asked the online help desk at Ariens and "David" suggested I get to the valve…after taking a bunch of stuff off. It may have sounded worse than it is, but it didn't sound like a simple process.

Here is most of our conversation:

Me: Hi, I have an Ariens 921037 Deluxe 28 snowblower that I bought less than a year ago. I tried to start it for the first time today [I meant to say this winter], but I cannot open the fuel shutoff valve (it was left in the off position). What can I do to move it?
David: You can remove the fuel switch and try some penetrating oil in it to see if you can wiggle it open.
David: Short of completely removing it there are no tricks to get it opened
Me: Can I just pull the knob off?
David: The knob isn't the problem it is moving a piece of metal inside the valve that is probably stuck or just jammed up.
Me: I understand, but how do I spray penetrating oil on the mechanism? Do I have to pull the knob off? I don't want to break it.
David: Okay so you are going to have to remove the whole assembly on the fuel tank side it is clamped and on the carb side it is threaded you will have to take off that whole assembly.​

I was thinking that by just taking the knob off, I could spray some lubricant on the valve, thus, saving me from "removing the whole assembly," which really is a bad design if these valves stick a lot.

Is it as hard as "David" makes it sound?

#14 ·
"Don't fret if you bust it you can get a 5 pack of those nice inline tiny valves on Ebay for $7."

Be careful buying these off ebay - I got a batch that soon failed to pass fuel once in use. I wasted a lot of time figuring that one out. The only clue to detecting them is they're slightly purple-shaded rather than true red.

#17 · (Edited)
OK, it's fixed!

I used a big honkin' screwdriver to pop the plastic cap off the metal stem of the shut-off valve and used pliers to turn the valve to ON position (not easily). The good news is that the machine runs…the bad news is that part of the stem is in the cap. So…I have a future project which will require a new shut-off valve. That will wait 'til warm weather (April, May, June…who knows), 'cause I am not messing with the valve until then.

Ariens has been in business a long time. I'm surprised they sell such expensive machines with such crappy parts.

And no, there would have been no way to get to the valve without popping/snapping off the cap. The cap has to come off before the metal housing surrounding it can be removed.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have one for Ariens!

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your suggestions. I have one for Ariens!
There is a rep "here" from Ariens, Mary Lyn.

You can give her your suggestion and it will make it to Ariens. Just be nice :facepalm_zpsdj194qh
They may be able to send you the part if it's under warranty.

Ariens - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

I can't speak for Ariens or Ariens dealers but when you're sitting on an expensive new or near new machine and it's got something small wrong with it and you temporarily fix it to use it they should understand the situation.

#18 ·
Well, once you get it fixed and looking all pretty again, remember not to use the fuel shut-off after you already ran the machine dry. Since there was no fuel in the system anyway, you really didn't need to turn the valve to the off position. It might be smarter in the future just to add some Stabil or, even better in my opinion, some Sea Foam through the system before you run it dry. That's what I do every year and I have never had a problem.

#26 ·
Sounds like a fault from the factory. Did you have any difficulty before?

#27 ·
Agreed - that's not a high failure part by any stretch. I would recommend using a shutoff valve - as you don't want to end up with a fuel leak when it sits for long periods. If the float in the carb gets hung up at all it will leak out. When the weather warms up don't forget abou tit..... good luck!

#29 ·
The newer stuff for the most part isn't adjustable and does run leaner and may have smaller passages that are less forgiving to neglect.

Older stuff you can get away with more but the newer stuff you should try to use alcohol free, stabilizer and maybe a shot of cleaner once in a while as cheap insurance it's going to start each time you need it to.

#34 ·
But…I didn't neglect it. Changed the oil and ran the machine dry, then turned the shutoff valve to OFF and stored my brand new machine with its skids on a piece of wood. Everything just as the operations manual suggested.

Anyway, it's a done deal. The valve is now open after I broke off the knob and it will stay that way until spring. I'm now working to see if Ariens will send me new parts for free - I think I can replace them myself.

#32 ·
I don't blame you. It's really absurd to have such a finicky part on something that's supposed to be built for tough conditions.

On another note, my snow shovels have ALWAYS started. They kill my back, but boy are they reliable!

P.S. Just a suggestion: Don't do as I did and wait 'til the next snowstorm to start your machine for the first time. Lesson learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.