Snowblower Forum banner

2015 Ariens Deluxe 24 jammed impeller

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hfjeff 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I just registered to this forum and just wanted to say "Hello" before I ask my first question.

I was blowing snow today and accidentally sucked up a magazine into the machine that jammed up my impeller and stopped my motor abruptly. I was able to remove the stuck magazine and restarted my snow blower, with only 2 pulls of the cord. I was wondering if this jam and sudden stall of my motor would of caused any damage to the motor? The machine is working OK but not sure if this caused any damage that may show up later. What part of the machine would of absorbed the jam?

#2 ·
I have had this happen many times... Buried news papers.. I don't think you would suffer any damage. If you did not break a shear pin then the auger was not jammed. If it was the impeller you might stretch a belt a bit.

The gear box drives the auger from the impeller shaft, but is protected by the shear pins. The impeller comes directly off the pulleys, which are attached to the motor via the belts.. You didn't hurt the motor...

#3 ·
In theory, the sudden stop could have stopped the engine so quickly that the engine's flywheel key could shear off. This would change the ignition timing. But if that had happened, the engine would immediately run differently, or not run at all. The flywheel key would probably either shear off, or wouldn't, it's unlikely you could partially-damage it.

So if it started fine, and ran normally, then the engine is probably fine, and there's nothing to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.