post #1 of 14 Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
briggs and stratton quality!

so my buddy called me up today and told me his simplicity pro 36 from 2004 with a 13hp intek would not start, it would only spit sputter and backfire. so he went to look at the valve train after checking the flywheel key, and this is what he found!

A bent ALUMINUM, NOT STEEL PUSH ROD. Now come on, even my predator engines have steel push rods. he told me his son tried to start it before he got home and may have flooded it, but still even if that was the case it should not have bent like this even from being hydro locked. after further research i found out that they revised the part twice. the engine is a briggs and stratton 3bsxs.3422ht from 2004 with very little hours on in it, probably less then 100. anybody ever seen anything like this before, because i sure have not until now. must be that briggs and stratton quality!

Last edited by 43128; 01-31-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-31-2017, 10:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I have not seen it, but I had somebody buy a 420cc Predator engine from me about 6 weeks ago and he told me that it was going to replace a Briggs engine on an Ariens snowblower that kept bending pushrods (according to him, his dealer told him not to keep fixing the Briggs nor to buy another Briggs but to get a Predator 420cc instead, that he'd be better off doing that as they were having a lot of issues with the Briggs engines).
I was ONLY told this.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
thats the same thing i told him, order the push rod set and buy a predator 420cc with the money he makes from the briggs. i think he can get 400 for that briggs easily
post #4 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 01:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
I've seen it TOO many times, mostly Briggs with those famous Aluminum Pushrods, but usually on the Vertical Crankshaft engines in lawn tractors. What I've found is the Valve seizing in the Valve Guide. Doesn't take much to bend that straw at that point. I will put a cylinder head on it, if the engine and or equipment is worth it. Lack of maintenance or overheating will cause the valve train damage. Or you could roll the dice and toss in a push rod...... If the part is superseded, they obviously see a problem....OR trying to hide a bigger problem. GLuck, Jay
post #5 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 50
Imagine that Engineer who though that... "Hey, aluminum pushrods may save us .09 cents an engine, let do it" Brilliant
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #6 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHonda View Post
Imagine that Engineer who though that... "Hey, aluminum pushrods may save us .09 cents an engine, let do it" Brilliant
Except it wouldn't have been an engineer who thought of it, it would have been an accountant!
Or a manager..

Then the word came down from on-high about the great money saving idea, and the engineers knew it was insane, but they were forced to go with it.
Engineers want the best, but often have to work with sub-par ideas due to forces beyond their control.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah - it's the only drawback to an otherwise good engine. You have to be diligent about maintaining the valve lash adjustment on them...... if you let it get the least bit sloppy this is the result. The minute you have one that hesitates to start quickly, check the adjustment. They go out of tolerance way to easy...... IDK who the genius was that chose to use aluminum, but I'd like to think they specified some type of alloy that could hold up, and got something else that China thought they could get away producing.....? Humpf....... wish they would just stick to tried and true rather than try and save a nickle. I think we'd rather pay $1 more and get quality!

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #8 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
Um... I'm no big B&S fan, but the reality is that aluminum pushrods probably don't cost any less than steel ones. The cost of the raw materials is almost the same, and machining each is pretty easy - depending of course on the particular alloy used. It's possible they save a tiny amount of money on shipping as the finished engine will weight slightly less.

And there's nothing intrinsically wrong with aluminum pushrods... years ago I had a BSA motorcycle that used them, and it could run at 10,000 RPM all day long.

So my guess is there's something else going on here. Valve stems binding in guides, excess valve clearance allowing rockers to move out of position...? Or possibly the pushrods are just underdesigned... too small of a diameter or a too-soft alloy.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
i dont think theres anything else mechanically wrong with this engine, this guy maintains his machine and engine religoiusly
post #10 of 14 Old 02-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293
In the vertical shaft Briggs engines the aluminum pushrod can be replaced with the steel exhaust pushrod. Not sure about the horizontal shaft engines, but a simple measurement would tell.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page