Jari-Jaw II dual front auger, anyone with info, parts sources ?? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 5
I love that snow blower !!! Great to scare away salesmen and old ladies with dogs !

eyeboltman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 02-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
What Tranny Fluid for Jari Snowblower?

I have a very similar Jari 3-stage snowblower. I put a new motor on it, but need to know what kind of transmission fluid it takes. I notice the chute is different, but I have the same jaw decals, just not the Jaw II label anywhere that I saw.

If memory serves, it was a 7 HP Tecumseh on there originally, think I mounted an 8 HP. It has 3? forward gears and a Reverse - want to see if I can free up the transmission that's probably dry, since the engine starts with no problems now. It was working for many years, but my bad - never looked into tranny much, but my expert mechanical skills tell me something's wrong when the wheels stopped spinning - doh!

video has the same chute as mine. My controls are back on the handlebars for gears, drive, etc.

I'd appreciate any help figuring out what/how much fluid to use.

Thanks!
post #13 of 20 Old 02-05-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 513
Thanks (Received): 683
Likes (Given): 3856
Likes (Received): 1481
Garage
I can't get the guy to write back so I think it's sold, poor me.

If no one knows what to use I'd put "00" in mine if I had one. It's the same stuff a lot of riding lawn tractor manual transmissions use, also tillers so you know it can handle the wear and tear. It's not as thick as wheel bearing grease but it's thicker than gear oil. It will flow but it sticks so it's the best of both worlds and it doesn't leak out of seals as easily as gear oil in an older unit.

The ad men wrote this: PREMIUM '00' GREASE *Semi-fluid grease which is fortified with anti-wear (AW) plus Extreme Pressure (EP) additives. *For use in Snapper Equipment or any other application where this type of grease is recommended. *Will show excellent performance over a wide range of temperatures including excellent low temp start-up, and is enhanced with a rust and oxidation inhibitor to prevent rust formation during periods of non-use.
I get it at Oreilly auto parts, they have to order it in, day or two part number 7-06612 $10.50 / 32oz

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Jari Fan Club

No callback? My condolences - kinda like that stump grinder that I thought I almost had last month (I didn't think there was any rush when the CL ad was out there for a few weeks in the middle of the winter already) Thanks for the info - I will look around for that, and see if anyone else has suggestions. I'm going to take a closer look at the unit, but that's out in the brrrr garage. Guess I'll shovel the 7-8" that just dropped, and maybe I'll have my act together by Sunday's storm! Spring is coming, isn't it??

I got mine out of a junk heap years ago, and crammed it into my deceased (moment of silence?) Subaru wagon to get it home. I had to see this thing run...I got it going, and during the cold months finally got it going again, but only made it up to the top of my driveway before it stalled. Eventually, my numb fingers and mind realized that it had blown a hole through the block, so I found another motor to adapt to the unit, and it starts right up. In case there's any doubt out there, a snowblower isn't as useful if it just sits in one spot - who knew??
post #15 of 20 Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
It's in really good shape from the photos posted but the guy misplaced the drive pulley for the crank. Was having belt issues and said the pulley was "worn". It should be a cast iron or solid steel pulley and I don't know how it would get worn ???
He was going to look for it and I've sent a couple Es asking how much without the pulley but silence is all I get. Oh well, time to move on to another project.

I don't need it but thought at it's price it would be cool as a project and just to have in the back corner of the garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-05-2014, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The Jari Family

Yeah, snowblowers sit around a lot of the time, depending on where you are, so they can have low hours on these museum pieces. As far as a worn pulley, it may be due to that big hammer he was using to do the "fine tuning". I can probably measure the pulley on mine (don't think I changed that out), if you find that you need to replace it. I don't think it was anything too non-standard.

I actually had trouble getting everything rigged up to the new motor, so in a rush, just got a belt that engages the front augers all the time (have to adapt the idler pulley that puts pressure on the correctly-sized belt when you rotate the control, so that the auger doesn't run all the time, but that's what next year is for!). I'll still hold out hope that maybe you'll join our Jari family, where you'll always be welcome!

Good luck and thanks again for your reply!
post #17 of 20 Old 11-27-2014, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have a Jari i that I got running. Just having a problem with the belt sizes that I need and their configuration on the pulleys. Also the punger style activator will not stay in the down position when running (to allow it to go forward). Anybody with manuals?
post #18 of 20 Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Welcome to the forum Bergeron

I could never get the guy to commit so I never got a hold of it My loss as it was a cool blower.

You are welcome to the thread (since you are hijacking it for yourself ) as I don't have an answer for you on manuals as I was looking myself.

Glad to know another Jari Jaw is out there with someone taking care of it. Would enjoy seeing pictures of yours.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Bummer you couldn't get that one! When I was young and new to fixing mowers and blowers, i ended up with one of these, and I wished over the years I still had it. My dad was very supportive of my hobbies, but my collection was taking up too much of his backyard! I had no idea at the time that years later I would be researching a self propelled sickle mower given to me was made by the "Year-A-Round" company AKA Jari. What's more interesting to me now is Jari was in my home state, out of St. Peter, MN, about 10 minutes north of where I went to college. While rebuilding my sickle mower as a long term/low budget project in my "leisure time" I often think back to that ol' snowblower and wish I could find another!

Thanks for the feeling of nostalgia reading these posts!

-Max
post #20 of 20 Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
to SBF A0X0MAX0A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page