Poulin Pro Snowblower Auger keeps turning - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Poulin Pro Snowblower Auger keeps turning

My grandson put a new belt on and now the auger keeps spinning on my poulin pro snowblower PR271.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-10-2018, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 403
Garage
Because it's the right # does but mean it's the right belt. You need to measure the length of they old belt, the length of the new belt, and find out the length of the suppose to fit belt! You can't trust the manufacturers recommended belt nor the length of the belts you buy. You need to measure. I've done a few previous posts on this.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 06-10-2018 at 04:08 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2018, 07:25 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
if possible.......back the idler pulley off, new belts do need some adjustment, and re-justment .

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2018, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Parker View Post
My grandson put a new belt on and now the auger keeps spinning on my poulin pro snowblower PR271.
Its possible the belt your grandson installed is too short. When the belt is on and the clutch is disengaged (auger handle is not pressed down) there should be slack in the belt. When the auger handle is pressed down there is an idler pulley that moves to press against the back side of the belt to take up the slack, which tightens the belt against the drive pulley, which in turn spins the auger.

It is also possible that the belt has been threaded wrong and is laying on the outside of the brake lever, which is usually located on the bottom half of the idler pully control arm. This device is designed to stop the auger from turning when you release the handle. Having the belt on the wrong side of the brake arm will take slack out of the belt and cause the auger to spin when the handle is not pressed down. Also, pressing the handle down with the belt on the wrong side of the brake arm might chew up the belt and destroy it.

Being that it is a new belt, first thing to do is make SURE the belt is the right length and width, and that it is threaded properly, and runs on the inside of the brake lever. When the handle is released the brake pad on the lever hits the back side of the belt, applying pressure to the auger pulley and the belt to stop auger rotation.

If the belt is the correct size and threaded properly around the brake lever, then try slacking off the cable adjustment or rod adjustment that controls the idler wheel, or check to see if there is an adjustment on the idler wheel bolt itself to give more clearance between the idler wheel and the back side of the belt so that they belt slacks off of the drive pulley when the handle is released.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page