Bolens "Arctic 70"...how much should I advertise it for? - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 68 Old 08-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Do the Toro Power shifts have the safety levers like the newer machines? I could see them not selling because they are potential meat grinders without modern safety features.
They have the safety levers just like the new 1's. The year was 1988 when TORO went with them on the handles. the old school TORO'S are the meat grinders. the POWERTHROWS have them on the handles also.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 Old 08-07-2018, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
They have the safety levers just like the new 1's. The year was 1988 when TORO went with them on the handles. the old school TORO'S are the meat grinders. the POWERTHROWS have them on the handles also.
1988 and newer should sell then. I am a bit leery of my Gilson made Montgomery Ward due to the lack of safety features.
post #23 of 68 Old 08-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
A functional brain is the best safety device of all. The rest is just the dumbing down of the world . . . To mean, a dead man on forward motion is just about all that I would want, so it will stop if I keel over. Augur drive interlocks, engine interlocks, etc. are just an annoyance *if* the users brain is functional.

I mean, seriously, how *stupid* does someone have to be to stick their hand into a running snowblower?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul, DriverRider liked this post
post #24 of 68 Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
A functional brain is the best safety device of all. The rest is just the dumbing down of the world . . . To mean, a dead man on forward motion is just about all that I would want, so it will stop if I keel over. Augur drive interlocks, engine interlocks, etc. are just an annoyance *if* the users brain is functional.

I mean, seriously, how *stupid* does someone have to be to stick their hand into a running snowblower?
Safety features have most likely prevented some foolish or careless people from inadvertently winning the Darwin award and they don't interfer with the operation of the snowblower as long as the operator is holding the levers down.
post #25 of 68 Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Uh huh . . . like such genius designs that require you to reach across with your left to the right to change speeds, because some idiot put the interlock on the right. Or shut the blower down to shift . . .

Thanks, I'll pass. Forward motion dead man is all I want or need . . . the rest are just irritants shoved down our throat by an out of control legal system. If someone is, as you put it, that 'foolish or careless' perhaps they should just sit inside wearing a helmet and mittens, and not force the rest of us to dumb down to thier level . . . Personal responsibility . . . What a concept!
post #26 of 68 Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Two levers one to operate the drive the other to operate the augers is all I really need and have on my newest snowblower. My newest snowblower is a 1995 Predator re-powered MTD the other is a potentially dangerous Gilson made Montgomery Ward. I am sure there are other more intrusive safety measures that were added since the mid 1990's
post #27 of 68 Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thta's the reason I like the 73 - 73 Ariens 10,000 so much. Augur drive is a lever that latches in - don't need the foolishness of holding it. To work on the front end, disengage and walk around. The other lever is dead man for traction. Dead man on the left, shift on the right . . . easy to maneuver, and does not require the 3rd hand to hold down an auger interlock (right handlebar carries the shift lever) so hands never need to move from the position of maintaining control of the machine - the handles! . . . Otherwise, it's just too slow and clumsy to jockey! Hands never need to leave the controls that they are operating, IE shift and drive clutch.

In your case (and my old Toro used to be that way) you have to remove your hand from the drive clutch every time you change forward speed, or stop the augurs . . . . far far too clumsy and slow for me to be happy with . . .

Last edited by tadawson; 08-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #28 of 68 Old 08-08-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Where in Pa.?
Berks County...near Reading
post #29 of 68 Old 08-08-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
do you have any pictures?

it may be one of those barn finds like a Mustang Mach 1, Chevelle, GTO , Shelby , old Harley , or some other very rare find.

you may have one of those.
Yeah...I can get some pictures on it. I discovered that the petcock was completely gummed up and so am trying to locate one. Would like to see if I can get it running. There was no gas getting to the carb.
post #30 of 68 Old 08-08-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
For the most part, that is not correct..
1960's and 70's Ariens 10,000 series machines, in good working condition, are worth $250 in the winter in the Great Lakes region and upper mid west.
(slight more $ near the east coast cities)
And they are very common..lots of people buy them because they know they still have decades of work left in them, even at 40 to 50 years old..
they sell like crazy..probably a hundred machines a year on Rochester, Syracuse and Buffalo craigslist..

And they dont have to be mint..
This 1971 Ariens is a $250 machine all day long (in the winter) in Western NY.

$100 to $150 in the Summer, in working condition.
Not running, $0 to $50 in the Summer.

Keith's Bolens is probably an Ariens:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/arien...html#question3

Photos would tell us for sure.
If you can get it running, fully working, you can get $200 to $250 in December.
Not running, in August = $50 tops.
also because its August, and not running, you might be in the "give away" category right now..because it might be hard to find that $50 buyer in August..
pretty much no one is looking for a snowblower in August!

Scot
Scot...Mine looks VERY much like the Ariens in the picture! Nearly exact same design. Have to look harder and see if "Ariens" shows up somewhere on it. So far all I see is Bolens Artic (can't help but wonder if that is supposed to be "arctic"! Deliberate misspelling???

I checked out the link....sort of a weird coincidence that you refer to Cub Cadet. The main issue I'm facing right now is the rod that broke in my Cub 129 tractor - debating on whether or not to put a rebuilt engine in a 40+ year old tractor or buy something new.

Obviously people will be looking more for this equipment in the winter. I could certainly wait to advertise it...was planning to put it up on eBay. No hurry. It's just one of those items that I'd like to move out of my garage...time to start a bit of downsizing!

Last edited by three4rd; 08-08-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page