Need help identifying Bolens Arctic snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-28-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need help identifying Bolens Arctic snowblower

It's silver and says "Arctic" and "32" Width" and that's it. I was able to find that it has a Bolens logo on it. There are no other identifying remarks, I'm not even sure what HP the Tecumseh motor is.

I picked this one up a couple of years ago for parts and finally got around to tinkering with it today. When I picked it up from the garbage pile the owner and his teenage son laughed at me, HA!

I put some gas in it today and hit the electric start and after a bit it cranked over and ran like a champ even though it hasn't been run in at least two years. The auger spins like it should. What it doesn't do is self propel for more than a few inches.

Any help in identifying what model it is so I can look up parts would be great. I originally got it because it looks just like a John Deere 32 inch I have that needed a motor, but I found a 9.5 hp Tecumseh off a Craftsman blower I'm going to put on. I'd like to get this one up and running as well.

Last edited by Connor; 09-28-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-28-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
post #3 of 4 Old 09-29-2019, 06:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Received): 79
Is that metal shavings in the pan?

When you say propels for a few inches? Meaning the machine moves forward only a few inches? or the auger only turns slightly?

Could be anything from adjustment, broken spring, bad friction disc, broken gear, missing/ broke roll pin, bad belt, etc, etc.....

Should be easy enough to diagnose.

BTW, those look like grade 5 bolts in the Augers, not shear pins ... might want to check the augers for rust weld, as well as the auger gear box for damage, as well as proper lube conditions in it.

I would imagine those were branded units built for large retail outlets back in the day by probably by Murray, MTD or the likes of such.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-29-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
Is that metal shavings in the pan?
Some metal shavings. Although I think it is from the bottom pan. The pan is bent in a bit and it looks like the chain on the gear has rubbed through (and had a patch welded) over it. It looks like there should be a bit of a curve to the pan but that there is currently too much, or a bit of a flaw in manufacturing... well bear looking at more.

Quote:
When you say propels for a few inches? Meaning the machine moves forward only a few inches? or the auger only turns slightly?
The machine only moves forward (or back) a few inches. The auger spins well.

Quote:
Could be anything from adjustment, broken spring, bad friction disc, broken gear, missing/ broke roll pin, bad belt, etc, etc.....

Should be easy enough to diagnose.
I looked at the friction wheel and the plate it pushes against. The friction wheel seems to have a fair bit of play side to side when not against the plate. There are also some chunks of rubber missing, and both are really greasy. I'll try cleaning off the grease and see if that helps.

I've been looking at some videos and the forums to learn more. I do know an old guy (80 or so) who works on snowblowers and such, not as much anymore but I can still pick his brain and be the hands

Quote:
BTW, those look like grade 5 bolts in the Augers, not shear pins ... might want to check the augers for rust weld, as well as the auger gear box for damage, as well as proper lube conditions in it.

I would imagine those were branded units built for large retail outlets back in the day by probably by Murray, MTD or the likes of such.
Rust weld, will have to look that up. And I'll check the "shear pins" to make sure they're pins and not bolts. I just put my friend's motor on an old snowblower I had that the engine seized on, his father-in-law used bolts instead of shear pins and bent the auger shaft. My friend didn't want to take the time to do the auger shaft himself so I swapped the motor out for him.

I have a bit of a clue when it comes to these things, I can muddle my way through but it's as much because I like tinkering and figuring out and hate spending money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page