LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-10-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 526
Monty...my first Gilson

Went last night to pick up Monty.....a craigslist find for $75 ...75 miles away from home. The old gentleman that owned it passed away and his heirs were selling it. Monty wasn't used for eight years and the motor has no spark, and the tranny was frozen . I've got the tranny cleaned up and linkages working, and will start on the motor and a general cleanup after I free up my worktable from a Toro 8 24 I'm going through. This Montgomery Ward 8, has the Briggs motor, is made by Gilson and is the Unitrol model...it has no plate so I don't know when it was made, but I'm guessing the early 70's I'm going to ditch the solid tires and replace them with the newer style Toro wheels and tires.....might even go to the taller tire found on the bigger Toro's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monty 8 001.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	79009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monty 8 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	79017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monty 8 003.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	79025  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, GAR liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Looks like the AG tires are pretty bald. Some newer ones are going to be a huge improvement. Looking forward to your progress reports and photos.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-10-2016, 02:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1095
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh them tires are slicks. that's 4 sure.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 15 Old 02-11-2016, 05:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1619
Likes (Received): 570
looks like you got yourself a project there with monty, don't forget to checkout the Gilson website

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 15 Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 AM
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 245
Likes (Received): 147
Garage
I have worked on a number of these old girls, one of my most frustrating problems were rims rusted onto axle....Heat and penetrating oil and repeat, and repeat.....LOL
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 15 Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I just finished working on an 8 24 Toro from around 1990......only a 30 dollar price tag, but needed a lot of fixing. It had one rim frozen onto the shaft and I ended up torching the rim off, then grinding a slot in the hub to finally make it let go. I had a couple of really nice rims and tires from a newer powershift that I had to hacksaw the axle off because they were frozen on so hard, and I needed to get to the transmission for a rebuild project. I ended up taking most of a morning drilling out the axles ......but now the older Toro is got nice skins!
Likes GAR liked this post
post #7 of 15 Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Monty Lives!

I spent some time between projects this afternoon putting points etc. in Monty. She wouldn't fire with the carb untouched, so I took her apart and cleaned it with Simple Green in a HF sonic cleaner........after multiple cycles the carb looked like new. I bolted her together and she started at pull number three without the choke....and idled right down so slow you would swear she couldn't keep running. I put her through the gears to check my transmission adjusting skills, and everything is just the way it should be. Next step is a new shear plate, new pneumatic tires and rims, a really good cleaning and degreasing....then decide on paint. This is my first look at a Gilson, and I'm really impressed...I don't believe I'll miss having any safeties on the machine, but I'm thinking about putting an ignition switch near to hand to ease my mind. What really drives home the quality of these older machines was rehabbing a 2005 Yard Machine yesterday...if MTD made it any cheaper, it would disintegrate on its own.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #8 of 15 Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
I had a Gilson in my garage a few weeks ago, same 8hp B&S. The gear transmission makes them unstoppable!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
Went last night to pick up Monty.....a craigslist find for $75 ...75 miles away from home. The old gentleman that owned it passed away and his heirs were selling it. Monty wasn't used for eight years and the motor has no spark, and the tranny was frozen . I've got the tranny cleaned up and linkages working, and will start on the motor and a general cleanup after I free up my worktable from a Toro 8 24 I'm going through. This Montgomery Ward 8, has the Briggs motor, is made by Gilson and is the Unitrol model...it has no plate so I don't know when it was made, but I'm guessing the early 70's I'm going to ditch the solid tires and replace them with the newer style Toro wheels and tires.....might even go to the taller tire found on the bigger Toro's.
I discovered how old my Montgomery Ward (Gilson) was by looking at the imprint on the recoil shrouding. Mine was a 1973. Take a look there and you will know when the engine was manufactured.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 02-16-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cranman thanked for this post
post #10 of 15 Old 02-21-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Gusto Guy..I took your advice, and the engine was manufactured on Sept 23, 1971...so I'm guessing Monty is a 1971. I just started stripping her down for paint and got the tractor done in Rustoleum 2x real orange gloss, and am doing the handles and blower diverter in Rustoleum 2x gloss almond....both are almost perfect matches to the original paint. I'm replacing the solid tires and rims with a pair I robbed off of a Toro powershift from the 90's that will fit right and have a lot of traction, but not much higher then stock. I'm leaning on doing an impeller kit while she is dismantled......then I'm DONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page