LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Bolens 824 vs 824A

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between a Bolens 824 and 824A snowblower. I was recently gifted a Bolens 824 snowblower and was interested in fixing it up but from looking online most of the information I find is for the 824A model and based on the serial number I seem to have an odd ball here. My S/N is 0700366.

The 824 parts manual from Sam's Bolens covers S/Ns 0600101 - 0699999 and 0100101 - 0100162.

I appreciate any thoughts people might have.

Thanks,
Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
One have electric start and the other one doesn't?

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks tylerNA thanked for this post
post #3 of 5 Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Both variants have electric start.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
to SBF tylerNA

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerNA View Post
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between a Bolens 824 and 824A snowblower. I was recently gifted a Bolens 824 snowblower and was interested in fixing it up but from looking online most of the information I find is for the 824A model and based on the serial number I seem to have an odd ball here. My S/N is 0700366.

The 824 parts manual from Sam's Bolens covers S/Ns 0600101 - 0699999 and 0100101 - 0100162.

I appreciate any thoughts people might have.

Thanks,
Tyler
Don't think you're the only one with an odd-ball. Got my 824A s/n0100236 new in 1989, and the diagrams in the owners manual don't match what are actually on the machine. The diagrams and parts manuals that I've been able to find show the drive axle as a slip-differential when in fact mine is a simple straight shaft with a sprocket welded on- sure hope that sprocket never breaks.
But getting back to your thread, I'm not certain of the difference either. However I don't think you should have too much trouble using information from either model other than the usual for these older machines-there just aren't a lot of parts around, especially the major ones. I have found that with a little research some of the MTD, Toro, and Craftsman parts will work (MTD bought out Bolens a while back, I think the late 90's). Also, there seems to be enough stuff out there for the older Tecumseh engines. Just took a quick look in my owners manual and found in the lower corner on pg. 3 that the 824A was a blizzard-pak model which included electric start, snow cab, tire chains, and light-I should have known that. Good luck with your inheritance, haha

Last edited by subbernh; 03-23-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: found more related information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in