Roll Pin Problem On Differential Lock Out - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 11
Roll Pin Problem On Differential Lock Out

Can anyone share advice regarding the small 3/32" roll pin that holds the differential lockout knob to the hub on the common Ariens differential assemblies? Pictures are attached for reference.

Getting it out was the biggest PITA in the first place. I ruined a Tekton 3/32" roll pin punch while I was at it - it bent almost immediately and then ultimately snapped. I figured getting it back in should be no problem but I was dead wrong. I've tried placing the knob in a bench vise and starting it with some light hammer taps, but aligning it with the shaft is difficult as it's spring loaded. The farthest I got was 1/3 of the way through before bending and ruining yet another roll pin.

I read about a trick using a drill press but the round nature of the knob makes this difficult. Is there any slick trick to this that I'm missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5084.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	92569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5085.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	92577  

My machine:
1979 Ariens 924039 (24", 8hp w/ differential)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 280
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 159
Likes (Received): 77
You need roll pin punches.

They are available almost everywhere once you know what they are.

Brownell's has some for firearms. But you need bigger than what you will use on any firearm I am familiar with.

Or you could take a free H.F. (or old) Phillips screw driver of appropriate diameter and cut the head off...
post #3 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
You need roll pin punches.

They are available almost everywhere once you know what they are.

Brownell's has some for firearms. But you need bigger than what you will use on any firearm I am familiar with.

Or you could take a free H.F. (or old) Phillips screw driver of appropriate diameter and cut the head off...
I had a 3/32" roll pin punch that bent immediately when I took the pin out, and ultimately snapped. I tried starting the pin with the next higher size (1/8") that I have from a set of craftsman roll pin punches (much higher quality than the tekton) and I got the pin started, but couldn't get it all the way through before the pin eventually deformed. It's evident I'm gonna have the same problem if I buy another 3/32" punch.

I'm hoping for a trick that I haven't thought of before. For people that have disassembled this particular lockout pin, any tricks?

My machine:
post #4 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 280
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 159
Likes (Received): 77
Stang: Please accept my apologies for assuming that you hadn't used the appropriate tool. You have.

I punched mine out when I replace the broken differential lock on my Ariens ST1032. I will tell you this:

I NOTICED THAT THE ROLL PIN HOLE WAS TAPERED.

So, if yours is tapered too, maybe try punching the opposite direction?

Post up what you find.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
Stang: Please accept my apologies for assuming that you hadn't used the appropriate tool. You have.

I punched mine out when I replace the broken differential lock on my Ariens ST1032. I will tell you this:

I NOTICED THAT THE ROLL PIN HOLE WAS TAPERED.

So, if yours is tapered too, maybe try punching the opposite direction?

Post up what you find.
Ahhh good info, but you're referring to the groove pin that secures the locking assembly to the axle. This pin is indeed tapered, and it's solid, not hollow like a roll pin. The grooves are on the larger side IIRC, so when inserting this groove pin you have to tap on the grooved side, and when taking it out you have to tap on the non-grooved side.

You can see the hole for this large groove pin in the second picture I posted. I had no issue with that one. It's the smaller, hollow roll pin that I'm having trouble with. This is the one in the first picture, and it secures the lockout knob to the spring/piston through a hole you can also see in the first picture. Not only is it difficult to tap in because the knob is round, it also has to be tapped in when the spring is compressed (otherwise the hole is not accessible), as evidenced by how I'm pressing it in the first picture.

Hard to explain. Even harder to get this **** roll pin back in!

My machine:

Last edited by Stang; 11-27-2016 at 07:28 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i have a cheap set of hf roll pin punches(i think they were 10 bucks or so with a 20% off coupon) and they have been holding up great. sometimes if a roll pin is being stubborn i will taper it with a bench grinder. the taper helps guide the roll pin in
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Stang thanked for this post
post #7 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
i have a cheap set of hf roll pin punches(i think they were 10 bucks or so with a 20% off coupon) and they have been holding up great. sometimes if a roll pin is being stubborn i will taper it with a bench grinder. the taper helps guide the roll pin in
Ahh that's a neat idea. Maybe I'll do just that try grinding a 45 degree taper into it. Thanks!

I also looked to HF for extra punches, but they do not have 3/32"

My machine:
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shaw351 liked this post
post #8 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
How good of an assortment of drill bits do you have?

Although I've never done this particular job this is how I'd do it:

1. Find a drill bit that's just a few thousandths smaller than the pin (ie the largest possible that will fit in the hole in the knob/shaft without binding). If you don't have a properly-sized drill bit, try some other small round things like nails or a cut up wire coat hanger. All you need is something that can serve as an alignment pin.

2. Put the knob in a vise or something and get the roll pin started. Drive it in enough that it stays put, but not enough that it protrudes into the area where the shaft goes.

3. Pull the shaft out as far as you can and hold it with needlenose pliers or something similar.

4. Now put the knob on the shaft, and insert the drill bit from the side opposite the roll pin, through the knob and the shaft, to keep the knob and shaft aligned. If the setup is oriented in such a way the drill bit wants to fall out, hold it in place with your fingers or tape or something.

5. Tap the pin in, which will push the drill bit out the other side.

I may be wrong but I don't think you should need a punch to install the pin... just tap it in.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Stang thanked for this post
post #9 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
How good of an assortment of drill bits do you have?

Although I've never done this particular job this is how I'd do it:

1. Find a drill bit that's just a few thousandths smaller than the pin (ie the largest possible that will fit in the hole in the knob/shaft without binding). If you don't have a properly-sized drill bit, try some other small round things like nails or a cut up wire coat hanger. All you need is something that can serve as an alignment pin.

2. Put the knob in a vise or something and get the roll pin started. Drive it in enough that it stays put, but not enough that it protrudes into the area where the shaft goes.

3. Pull the shaft out as far as you can and hold it with needlenose pliers or something similar.

4. Now put the knob on the shaft, and insert the drill bit from the side opposite the roll pin, through the knob and the shaft, to keep the knob and shaft aligned. If the setup is oriented in such a way the drill bit wants to fall out, hold it in place with your fingers or tape or something.

5. Tap the pin in, which will push the drill bit out the other side.

I may be wrong but I don't think you should need a punch to install the pin... just tap it in.

This is really, really clever. I will try this ASAP, thanks.

My machine:
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
I've used Grace USA roll pin starter punches and they work wonderful. They have a long set that I use quite a bit. Check out gunsmithing tools for an ar15. They have a tricky roll pin for the bolt release that is 3/32. You just insert the roll pin in the end and it will hold it until you get it started. Then use a regular roll pin punch to finish. I know amazon carries them if you wait out the shipping.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
Likes E350 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page