Help! Ignition issue where to connect loose wire? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help! Ignition issue where to connect loose wire?

High. I'm Brandon and I live outside of Salt Lake City Utah.

Today I have 16" of snow. Got to start the snowblower for first time this year. starts for a few seconds, dies won't start. Thought it was old gas, drained and filled, still no start. While inspecting the carburetor I see a green wire hanging loose. It connects at one end to the ignition switch. The other end has broken or shaken loose.

For the life of me, I can't figure out where it goes. My ignition switch is the simple push/pull style plastic key type, and apparently only has this one green wire attached. In my 54 years this is the first single wire ignition switch I've seen. The wire is only 4 - 5 inches long, so not a lot of possibilities. The connector may have broken.

This is a 24 inch Ariens 624E 2 stage that I bought new In 2008. It has always started without fail up to this point.

Last edited by BrandonNbountiful; 11-29-2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added model #
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Whats the actual model/series then well know which motor, but I am sure someone will know exactly where there goes without looking at a manual and know it by heart but lets see if we can at least get the engine model narrowed down in the mean time encase I am the only response (which I doubt)
post #3 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
One wire off key grounds to same cvr key is on, the green wire u speak of I believe should attach to the throttle lever shutoff switch, or the the tab connected to the throttle shutoff. Sorry that I can't explain better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 10:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
Common sense should prevail as to where this wire came from, just take a look at the possibility's. When in doubt, look in your manual or put the info in google and look into the search results.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 10:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
Just put my rider and push mower away and brought to the forward of my lower garage my 2 older Arien's and my older 7100 Yardman. C'mon snow .... LOL
post #6 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 419
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
Heres one that is also broke, the wires should be attached to a terminal on the white plastic piece.
Unless the wire is shorting out against something i dont think its causing a no start situation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	92658  

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
Exactly, as long as the key is in and throttle is up it should start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 298
Usually, a broken wire from the ignition switch would result in not being able to TURN OFF the engine. The ignition key switch opens a switch breaking a ground circuit allowing the engine to start and run. Removing the key grounds the ignition coil, killing the spark and stopping the engine.

Suggest you remove the spark plug, then pull the engine over with the plug wire attached to the plug, and the threads of the plug touching a head bolt, and see if you can see a spark across the plug gap when you crank the engine over. Might be a bad plug, or bad ignition coil if there is no spark showing at the plug. Best to do this in reduced light so you can see it. Also make sure the plug is gapped properly and not covered in crap or carbon.

Did you drain the carb of the old gas? If not, could be there is still old gas in the float bowl and the new gas has not yet displaced the old yet. Might try a quick spritz of starting fluid into the carb to see if it will fire and run long enough to get the new fuel into the carb.

Look for the easy stuff first

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 11-29-2016 at 01:05 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the picture NWCove. That looks like the original configuration, except attached to a white plastic block, that is attached to the throttle linkage. I can see how the throttle linkage touches the bare metal wire coming out of the end of the white plastic block to shut down the engine.

It looks like the key interrupts the ground, and makes a ground when removed. So the wire hanging free should do the same thing. Is that correct? If it is correct then it should start.

Part way through typing this reply I went out to the garage to see if it would start. I discovered that the bowl on the carb was dry. I removed the bowl, and in a few seconds gas leaked out. I reinstalled the bowl, and tried to start and it started. Maybe the float had been stuck.

Thank you everyone who replied so far. I hope that my ineptitude can help others.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-29-2016, 04:35 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 419
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
im sure i will be corrected if wrong, but there are a few mentions of the "key" being a kill switch,.. it does kill the engine , but ive always thought/used that key as a way to lock out/disable it, as opposed to shutting it down. the throttle lever going to the stop position is the way i shut that style machine off, then i remove the key and somehow misplace it .

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page