LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
Disassembly of covers on LCT 414cc

I need help. Last weekend I put gas in my 2013 Platinum 30 with the LCT 414cc motor. It was hard to start, but using the electric starter I got it going and attributed the hard start to being emptied of fuel in the early spring and it took a while to get the system charged.

Not so, apparently. All week I can smell fuel, but there's no obvious leak. It's faint but there. Today I start looking and there's a small rubber tube that goes from the back of the primer bulb to the carburetor. It's nearly severed.

So I figured I'd remove the covers to get access to the back of the primer bulb and to the well-hidden carburetor. I just can't figure out what's holding on the choke/throttle knob & ring! Is there some trick to getting behind this cover? It's the one with most of the motor controls on it, of course.

I've searched the web but can't find any good guide. I appreciate any and all help! Thanks!

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Go to: LCT Service Parts Catalog

Select Ariens then type in your engine number (should start with a PW) and you will be taken to a page with a diagram of the engine that can be enlarged. It should show how everything is put together.

Good luck.

Bob
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
I did come across that but forgot to bring my reading glasses and flashlight down with me. I just gave them a hood yank and they popped off. Had to remove the muffler and disconnect the spade connectors from the back of the "key" and kill switch. Only then could I get that cover off, but it's done.

The tube was still relatively supple rubber but cracked and barely still a single piece. That wasn't the source of the fuel smell, it's the fuel on/off valve. It's weeping around the seal where the actuator rotates. Off to my closest Ariens dealer, they had both parts.

The dealer said he sees a lot of failures like this...Ethanol. I hate the stuff but have no choice. I know it ruined a polymer fuel tank on one of my older (2000 model year) Triumph motorcycles when I left fuel in the tank over a few months with the tank off the bike. Swelled it up so much I couldn't get in the frame of the bike so had to toss it and buy new.

Those of you storing in an out building may never notice the weep from a failing fuel shutoff. Mine being stored in my walk-in cellar, I could smell it after I filled the tank last weekend. Perhaps the gasket swelled or distorted from trace amounts of Ethanol over the summer, I had run it dry before I put it away.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)

Last edited by PixMan; 12-10-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page