Snowblower Forum banner

Scraper and Skid adjustment on Airens ST2+2 (Model: 932015)

12K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  HillnGullyRider 
#1 ·
Disclaimer: I've never used a snow blower before but am very mechanically inclined.

I just picked up an Ariens ST2+2 (Model: 932015) 2-stage blower this week. From what I can tell, it was probably made in the late 80's or early 90's. I tried it out and found it pretty hard to push so I did a little digging (I found a photo copy of the users manual online) and found that the rubber scraper blade is missing and the skid shoes are probably not adjusted correctly.

Questions:
1. From what I've read this machine is supposed to be "Auger assisted drive". The blower has metal auger tines with rubber blades riveted to them. I'm assuming that the rubber blades of the auger need to be in minimal contact with the ground in order to provide the drive assistance. Is this true?

2. From the manual I found, there is a rubber scraper blade that attaches to the bottom of the auger shroud. The manual indicates that I should adjust the rubber blade so that it contacts the ground and flex's upward by 1/16" (Assuming a smooth, hard surface to be plowed). Does this sound correct? If so, I'll then re-adjust the skid shoes so that they just make contact with the ground with the scraper in correct adjustment.

3. Is there anything else that could be causing the "hard to push" issue?

4. If anyone has direct experience with this model, are there any gotcha's or maintenance issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never seen one operate personally, so I dont know exacty how they work, or how well..but I can tell you its from about 1984, and these "2+2" models are pretty unusual..Not many were made, and I think it was an experiment that didnt go very far..

Its essentially a 2-stage machine, it has an auger and an impeller (which are the two stages of a 2-stage machine) but the wheels are not powered! instead it uses the "auger pulling the machine forward" technique that single-stage machines use..
so its a bit of a hybrid between a single-stage and a 2-stage.

Three manuals! these should be helpful:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/032165.pdf

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PM-32-93.pdf

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000128A.pdf

2. From the manual I found, there is a rubber scraper blade that attaches to the bottom of the auger shroud. The manual indicates that I should adjust the rubber blade so that it contacts the ground and flex's upward by 1/16" (Assuming a smooth, hard surface to be plowed). Does this sound correct? If so, I'll then re-adjust the skid shoes so that they just make contact with the ground with the scraper in correct adjustment.
Does it have skid shoes on the bucket sides?
according to the manuals, its not supposed to..
a past owner might have added them on..

You are supposed to adjust the scraper bar up and down, to control the amount of "grip" from the augers..see page 13 of the owners manual for the part about adjusting the scraper blade up and down..

If a previous owner added skid shoes to the side of the bucket, you will probably need to remove them to make this machine function as it was intended to..
skid shoes wont allow the augers to do their job of moving the machine forward..

You have an unusual machine! ;)
this is the first time I have ever seen one discussed on this forum..
any chance you can post some photos?

Scot

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

The 000128A.pdf manual was particularly helpful. I hadn't run across this in my searching.

Does it have skid shoes on the bucket sides?
according to the manuals, its not supposed to..
a past owner might have added them on..
My version of this machine does, in fact, have skid shoes that look like they were installed by the manufacturer but could have been done by a skilled mechanic. In any event, I've ordered a replacement rubber scraper and rubber blades for the auger. I'll give it a shot with the skid shoes out of the way, a properly adjusted scraper, and new rubber auger blades and see what happens.

I like this machine so far as it's very simple, runs well, and is easy to maneuver in tight corners, and the price was right :)

I'll post before and after pictures as soon as I get the replacement parts in. I was only able to find them on Amazon BTW.

Cheers,

Russ

#4 ·
I worked on a co workers craftsman, that was a single stage, but similar drive setup. His did not have a engagement lever like this one, so as soon as you start his, it was on the go.

I warned him of this, and in part I understand why they did not continue this method of drive. I would also think that it would wear down the rubber blades, and probably have inferior ice cutting ability.

#7 ·
I found it on Amazon here is the title of the item for sale.
"Scraper Bar for a Ariens 32159".
Amazon.com: Scraper Bar for a Ariens 32159: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I should say that this is not rubber but polyethylene. It does fit the blower shroud as indicated in the service manual. I had to cut a bit off of each end with a hack saw to work around some rust and dings in the corners of the blower shroud but it wasn't a big deal. I haven't been able to test it yet as I'm also replacing the rubbers on the augers and haven't gotten things re-adjusted quite right. I think it'll work fine thought.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.