post #1 of 13 Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Skid / Scraper height adjustments

Hello all!

I installed my poly skids the other day, and re-set the scraper bar height at 1/8" per the manual via the poly skids.

I feel as if it had left a lot of snow on the driveway, and did not bite into any of the packed tire tracks at all. Not a big deal, but I thought if I lowered it a little bit, I would end up with a cleaner finish.

How low would you go? My driveway is an older asphalt driveway, decently smooth - only time I know I hit the scraper bar is where I transition to the road, and a spot where a tree root has pushed my driveway up a bit.

What are your thoughts on dropping it down?

It's a brand new 28" Deluxe SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
Hello all!

I installed my poly skids the other day, and re-set the scraper bar height at 1/8" per the manual via the poly skids.

I feel as if it had left a lot of snow on the driveway, and did not bite into any of the packed tire tracks at all. Not a big deal, but I thought if I lowered it a little bit, I would end up with a cleaner finish.

How low would you go? My driveway is an older asphalt driveway, decently smooth - only time I know I hit the scraper bar is where I transition to the road, and a spot where a tree root has pushed my driveway up a bit.

I've never seen a recommendation from Ariens, dealers or anyone on this forum to have the scraper set to less than 1/8". Most driveways have irregularities of at least that amount.

But, if you're not encountering any friction with the bar, it probably won't hurt to lower it more. A clean driveway is nice.

If the bar scrapes with some frequency on your driveway, you'll eventually need to replace the scraper bar - not a huge expense.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It was a pretty powdery snow too, which probably didn't help with leaving snow residue either. I have an 1/8" piece of poly that I put under the scraper bar to do the adjustment. I suppose I could put a super thin spacer under the skids and just try it, right? Adjust it if I'm hitting to much...

Like I mentioned, I really never felt it hit minus that one spot, the end of the driveway - oh...and when I tried to drop the one skid off into the grass.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
Hello all!

I have a brand newdeluxe 24,I just today for the first time today,and I had the same problem,it wasn't cleaning my blacktop driveway enough,it was leaving a lot of snow,so I tried to adjust the shoes,I didn't have anything for spacers,but a couple pieces of cardboard,so I tried them,but they didn't work,now the scrapper is dragging pretty good,my owners manual says use 3mm spacers,is there something I can use to adjust them enough to clean the snow down to blacktop,but not be dragging scrapper bar?

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #5 of 13 Old 12-17-2016, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post
I have a brand newdeluxe 24,I just today for the first time today,and I had the same problem,it wasn't cleaning my blacktop driveway enough,it was leaving a lot of snow,so I tried to adjust the shoes,I didn't have anything for spacers,but a couple pieces of cardboard,so I tried them,but they didn't work,now the scrapper is dragging pretty good,my owners manual says use 3mm spacers,is there something I can use to adjust them enough to clean the snow down to blacktop,but not be dragging scrapper bar?
I used metal carpenter's squares or rulers. They all appear to be 1/16" thick.

However, that height was too low for me. The scrapper bar dragged frequently on my driveway.

I reverted to the original 1/8" recommendation.

3mm is just slightly less than 1/8".
post #6 of 13 Old 12-18-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post

You don't happen to have a wife that does any sewing / quilting / ect do you? The fabric ruler things are made from 1/8" polycarbonate. That is what I used... lol Wife doesnt know this yet.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Also... I have to say this snow was much better than the last in regards to cleanup. I think I may be fine with just a touch under 1/8" (I put a small thin-thin piece of cardboard under the skids when I re-adjusted it.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
I use a wooden paint stirring stick that you get when you buy paint. I break it in half and put them on each side of the bar, loosen the skid bolts to let the scrapper bar down on the sticks. Tighten the bolts making sure that the skids are level with the surface.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
if the snow is not wet and heavy the auger action is usaually enough to pull the snow up and into the bucket without the scraper bar really doing much...... so 1/8" is plenty good most times. In wet heavy stuff, you may find that running it at a higher speed actaully helps it to pick up better as long as it doesn't bog down on you....... seems counter intuitive, but I have found that to be the case. I guess it buckles up in front and tends to get grabbed by the augers a little better. If you go to slow the scraper seems to just smooth it down rather than buckle it......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-19-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, I think it has as lot to do with the snow consistency, this snow storm cleaned up better than the last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page