Worst machine I ever bought. Ariens Platinum 24" SHO (2015) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Worst machine I ever bought. Ariens Platinum 24" SHO (2015)

I've used it a total of 6 times for approximately 3 hours total use as last winter was warm and mostly snow free. It's already broken down to unusable twice, and now requires service again. The first time I went to use it, it had a starting issue which required service. Approximately 3 weeks later it required service again for a belt issue (I believe it was the pulley if I recall correctly). Today I went out to use the blower and again it had a problem, this time it was leaking oil. This unit has proved extremely unreliable, requiring repair for what is quite literally every other use. Completely unacceptable for a new high end unit to be this unreliable and require repairs this frequently. Of all the power tools I ever bought, this is the worst. Maybe I should have bought something higher quality, like a Power Smart for $399.

Yeah, the dealer is nice and everything, but that doesn't help me at all. I need a machine that is reliable and works, not a smiling face that says, "see you in a week".

Last edited by ewhenn; 12-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
You clearly got a lemon in the basket of juicy red apples. I feel bad for you, the dealer should replace it with a completely new machine and many apologies. If the dealer won't step up, contact Ariens directly, they care.

I have a 2013 Platinum 30 and it's been the complete opposite. It had about 8 months left on the warranty when I bought it used from the dealer that originally sold it to a fellow who had sold off his house and bought a condominium. Never needed the warranty and still don't. It's easy to appreciate that you'll probably never buy an Ariens ever again, but they should at least deliver a new one with the stickers & tags still on it so you can get top dollar for a new, never used machine and go buy something that makes you comfortable.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #3 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 379
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
I've used it a total of 6 times for approximately 3 hours total use as last winter was warm and mostly snow free. It's already broken down to unusable twice, and now requires service again. The first time I went to use it, it had a starting issue which required service. Approximately 3 weeks later it required service again for a belt issue (I believe it was the pulley if I recall correctly). Today I went out to use the blower and again it had a problem, this time it was leaking oil. This unit has proved extremely unreliable, requiring repair for what is quite literally every other use. Completely unacceptable for a new high end unit to be this unreliable and require repairs this frequently. Of all the power tools I ever bought, this is the worst. Maybe I should have bought something higher quality, like a Power Smart for $399.

Yeah, the dealer is nice and everything, but that doesn't help me at all. I need a machine that is reliable and works, not a smiling face that says, "see you in a week".

You sure that is not left over oil from a oil change long ago that finally made it's way down to the bottom.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
There are at least 2 places it could leak from. 1 being a cracked block or from those drain pipes.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
You sure that is not left over oil from a oil change long ago that finally made it's way down to the bottom.
It's still the original factory oil. I ~3 hours run time, manual says it's not due yet.
post #6 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
It's still the original factory oil. I ~3 hours run time, manual says it's not due yet.
DID you have a looksee around there.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
There are at least 2 places it could leak from. 1 being a cracked block or from those drain pipes.
I'm pretty far from a mechanic.

I know there is a drain plug in the back on a tube, no leak there. I checked around the base where the engine attaches to the frame. I wiped my finger all the way around three sides and got no oil, and nothing is visible around that part to my eye. There is a plastic cover between the engine and augers that covers the belts, I did not take the cover off and check there. The oil seems to be dripping from inside where all the transmission parts are located from the front right corner.

I would have no idea what a cracked block would look like.

Last edited by ewhenn; 12-17-2016 at 02:23 PM.
post #8 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Pop that plastic cover off and have a looksee around in there.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
when you have checked the oil. did you have to add some.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 62 Old 12-17-2016, 02:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
Quote:
....... Maybe I should have bought something higher quality, like a Power Smart for $399.

OH,SNAP!!!When you're angry,you aim right for the scrote!

Joking aside,sorry this happened.You're right,this is absolutely unacceptable.As has been stated,I'd start with the dealer,but I think Ariens themselves would be willing to do what was necessary to make you happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page