LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Thumbs up First Use - EFI Platinum 24 SHO

Today we received 6" to 8" of fresh snow - light and fluffy in the morning and wet and sloppy now. Perfect conditions for testing the new Ariens EFI Platinum 24 SHO I purchased 2 months ago.

Start-Up: Start-up with the EFI engine is pretty simple - turn on the key and pull the cord - once. It starts before I'm halfway through the pull.

I know any well-maintained carburetor snowblower will also start with one pull. But, unlike many on this forum, I'm not a gear-head. I don't tinker with my own mechanical equipment (other than replacing spark plugs, filters, oil, etc.). I suppose I'm like 99% of consumers, who want simplicity, and don't want to tinker.

I have lots of gas-powered tools at home (we have 2 acres of land), and have often been frustrated by carburetor engines. I keep them serviced, add stabilizer (at least 89 octane gas), and run them dry each season. But, inevitably, I still encounter starting issues. I find chain saws to be the worst. And, I find warm starts on a small engine often more problematic than a cold start. Hence, when I heard Ariens had produced an EFI engine for blowers, I was in.

Power: The 24 Platinum comes with a 369 cc engine - large for a 24" machine. When I began blowing snow with this machine, I marveled at how long the arc of snow flew - at least 40 feet. Then, I realized I had the EFI "Power Dial" set to half speed. I grinned, and then cranked the dial to full power. The snow then flew all of the 55 feet that Ariens claims for this machine - perhaps further.

When I hit the EOD crud, the EFI engine's CPU adjusted for the load, and instantly added more oomph to engine. The machine didn't hesitate, and devoured the mountain of sludge. I've never had this much power in a blower. For a 24" machine, this is more muscle than I'll ever need.

For those unfamiliar with EFI engines, they have a CPU that optimizes fuel flow for the conditions (temperature, altitude, humidity, load on the engine, etc.). The CPU adjusts instantly for any change in those variables. I had to stop the engine several times to remove obstacles in my path (buried dog toys). Each time, the engine started again with an easy pull.

Steering: Autoturn, version 2016, worked well. There was none of the "drifting" people have reported with earlier versions of Autoturn. Admittedly, the blower didn't pivot quite as effortlessly in 8" on snow, as it did on a clear driveway in warm weather. But, still maneuvered deftly - vastly easier than my old 300 lb. Yard Machines monster. I could clear within an inch of our vehicles, with no worries about control. 180° spins at the EOD were easy. I also like the idea of not depending upon a trigger mechanism (which entail 30 to 40 moving parts - according to "Moving Snow.com".

The Chute: This is the one area where the Platinum 24 wasn't as easy as I had hoped. When I purchased the Platinum 24, my other consideration was a Toro Power Max HD 928. I fell in love with Toro's chute control, which I dubbed the "Magic Wand" for its dexterity and ease of use. Toro has, by far, the best chute control system I've seen. Everything else (possibly with the exception of Honda's electric chute control) feels primitive by comparison.

On the Platinum 24, the in-dash chute lever works fine - BUT, one has to learn to give it a hefty pull (toward you) as you slide the chute handle left or right. I found I got better at this as the day wore on. Still, it's a far cry from the nimble Toro chute control. By comparison, the Platinum 24 chute lever is clunky. I found I usually had to stop the machine's forward motion to spin the chute all 200°. Toward the end of the day, I was able to twist the chute while still moving the machine.

Locked Levers: I like the "locking" feature, which engages the auger while just one hand controls the forward motion. This feature frees the right hand to adjust the chute. Or, you can keep the auger handle depressed, while releasing the "wheel" handle to stop the machine. It took me awhile to get used to this, as my previous machine had the handles reversed (the auger control was on the left side, whereas on the Ariens it's on the right).

Conclusion:

Is this a perfect machine? No. Would I buy it again? Absolutely! Although the chute control mechanism feels a bit clunky (compared to Toro), it's still vastly better than the hand crank I had on my old machine, and most other hand cranks I tried. I also expect to get better at the "pull-slide" motion needed to twist the chute while moving forward with handles locked. Technique is part of the equation.

The main reason I'd buy this machine again, is the reason I opted for it the first time - the engine. It's huge, powerful and simple. Over the years, I expect the EFI feature will be what I value most on this machine. I love that it's so easy to use, easy to start (and will remain so), and requires relatively little of me. The prospect of never worrying about gas gumming-up the carb is well worth the $300 premium I paid for EFI. Of course, I'll still have the machine serviced each year. It's just nice to know I can pull that cord anytime, and count upon 17 ft. lbs. of torque being delivered.

I hope this overview is helpful.

PS: Images were taken 2 months ago, when blower arrived.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1920.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	93914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1923.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	93922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1924.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	93930  

Last edited by Strato; 12-17-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 69ariens, matto, nastorino thanked for this post
Likes nwcove, Hanky, SAVAGE420, nastorino liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 102
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 274
Likes (Received): 148
Great write up! I'm sure you'll enjoy this machine for years to come. I agree with you about a general dislike for carburetors. They're a device out of the dark ages and they can't disappear soon enough.

Good luck with it, Strato !!

(I had to look to see where Hampden MA was. Can't say I recognized the town. I've got a very close friend in Agawan.)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Strato thanked for this post
Likes Strato liked this post
post #3 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1887
Likes (Received): 666
thanks for the review

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Strato thanked for this post
post #4 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
Great write up! I'm sure you'll enjoy this machine for years to come. I agree with you about a general dislike for carburetors. They're a device out of the dark ages and they can't disappear soon enough.

Good luck with it, Strato !!

(I had to look to see where Hampden MA was. Can't say I recognized the town. I've got a very close friend in Agawan.)
If I were better at working on engines, I probably wouldn't mind carburetors as much. But, given that I'm not, EFI was meant for guys like me.

Yes, Hampden is a sleepy little burg near the CT border in western MA. Agawam is close - about 5 miles from me. We all get the same snow.
post #5 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 04:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
Congrats on your new machine!

I'm uploading a video to youtube of my first use of my new Ariens. Mine is the Hydro Pro 36. Much like your report we got the same messy storm. My chute seems clunky at first, but I remembered to pull back then swing it and that 2 motions together worked like a charm.
I like my machine very much. But if I travel full bite, full speed into the EOD I think I will stall the engine. It did bog down a little until I backed off the forward speed a little. If I just go at an easy clip and let the Auger chew all it's food, the engine doesn't even know it's at the 18" wet sloppy plow pile. It's a powerful engine, never the less.

I had 1 issue. The plastic covers that control the hand controls fell off in my hands. When I got back inside I put epoxy on those controls. They won't slip off now!
I changed the oil and it took 1 1/2 quarts, so I'm good for the next storm.

When my movie is done, I'll make a new topic with the video added so I don't clutter your topic.

Bob
post #6 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
Congrats on your new machine!

I'm uploading a video to youtube of my first use of my new Ariens. Mine is the Hydro Pro 36. Much like your report we got the same messy storm. My chute seems clunky at first, but I remembered to pull back then swing it and that 2 motions together worked like a charm.
I like my machine very much. But if I travel full bite, full speed into the EOD I think I will stall the engine. It did bog down a little until I backed off the forward speed a little. If I just go at an easy clip and let the Auger chew all it's food, the engine doesn't even know it's at the 18" wet sloppy plow pile. It's a powerful engine, never the less.

I had 1 issue. The plastic covers that control the hand controls fell off in my hands. When I got back inside I put epoxy on those controls. They won't slip off now!
I changed the oil and it took 1 1/2 quarts, so I'm good for the next storm.

When my movie is done, I'll make a new topic with the video added so I don't clutter your topic.
I look forward to your review. The Hydro Pro 36 is a monster machine. Awesome! If my wife was a bit more cooperative, I also would have included a video (always easy to blame the wiffy).

You're right about the chute. It's a learned movement - pull back, THEN swing. The trick is to do it while moving and turning with good aim. I'll get better.

Your 420cc engine has huge power - more than mine. But, you also have much bigger jaws - 36" compared to my 24" (we're talking snowblowers - right?). Hence, your machine is eating a lot more snow on the intake.

I like the way the EFI muscles-up when the going gets tough. When the load increases, it just increases power automatically, so the engine never slows down. Makes you feel kind of powerful when attacking the EOD sludge. "Outta my way!".

I'll remember your trick of epoxy on the handles, should I ever need it.
post #7 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 06:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
I bought a Cub Cadet lawn tractor this past spring and that is fuel injected. It's fun not to use the choke.

I have about an hour to go. My DSL if slow or the internet is busy. I took my camera and put the tripod up on the front porch and I walked the blower around the front 1/2 of the driveway. It put me asleep watching it so be warned it will put you to sleep as well....

Bob
post #8 of 58 Old 12-17-2016, 06:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I too bought this machine but I am having a much different experience.

Mechanically- it is what it is. Chute controls etc no problem to assemble but I have nothing to compare it to. My last snow blower was hooked up to a 25hp Massey

Regrettably the engine is not working well. Machine started up no problem. I ran it for a few minutes. Dialed up and down without an issue. Went inside to take a video---yes I was excited. Started it again...now the machine rev's and sounds like a Harley.

Anyone have any ideas. Fuel was fresh. I even went so far as to pump the gas out of it and put in absolutely brand new gas. And no it is not E85.

I called my local dealer...his response...I don't work on the new model. Wrote Ariens...so far no response.

Pretty upsetting to say the least. I am happy to hear your blower ran well...perhaps mine has an issue and it is not an overall design problem.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be more than happy to hear.
post #9 of 58 Old 12-18-2016, 12:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
Looks like your doggie likes your new Ariens!!!

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #10 of 58 Old 12-18-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post
Looks like your doggie likes your new Ariens!!!
Yes, Bailey seemed to approve of the new family member.

He even Christened one of the wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page