LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-17-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
Converting to Auto-turn

I have tried to do some research on converting my ST24LE to auto-turn. I haven't found much, probably because of the expense involved with having to also buy new wheels from what I understand. Does anyone have any information about making this conversion? Is it even possible? Any advice would help, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-17-2016, 09:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Check-out this thread in the General Snowblower Forum, on converting to Autotrun...

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-turn-kit.html
post #3 of 19 Old 12-17-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato View Post
Check-out this thread in the General Snowblower Forum, on converting to Autotrun...

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-turn-kit.html

Yes, I saw that thread. I was hoping that someone might reply who has some experience with making the conversion. I'd love to hear how it went. In addition, I need to know what wheels would have to be ordered?
post #4 of 19 Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Got your PM, figured Id post my experience here for anyone else interested:

I used partstree.com for their killer parts diagrams. One window I had my original model (926001) open to the axle/drive setup and another window I had a newer model that HAS Auto-Turn. Compared the two parts lists and confirmed that the only real differences were the wheels and the parts included in the conversion kit.

Conversion kit part # 72601300, ordered from repairclinic.com (they dont normally stock it, so there will be a wait once you order it)

The wheels and tires I got from a local go-kart shop. They had them on ebay for 30.00 each, a far cry from the 100+ Ariens wants. The only drawback was that they were 15" diameter, whereas the units with AutoTurn from the factory are 16". However, the conversion kit is also spec-ed for units that have the correct wheels (clip onto axle) but in 15" diameter, so I figured I was good to go. IIRC you need wheels for a 1" diameter axle that are not setup for pinned use....they will usually have a larger backspacing and have a slot through the axle hole for a woodruff key. You can find the part # for the key on the partstree site....I just found some that were close at Home Depot and ground them down to fit.

The only other gotcha I ran into was that, with everything installed (wheels included), there was enough side to side play in the axle that I could bind up the diff unit internally. If I removed that play by pulling outward on the wheels, everything worked fine. I had some nylon flat washers lying around, with the correct inner diameter to go over the axles, so I stacked 1 or 2 on each side and reinstalled the wheels. Just enough tension on them to take up the slack, but not so much I couldnt clip the wheels on.

The wheel/tire diameter I dont felt made any difference. After using it yesterday Im very happy with the decision to convert. The kit itself is well worth the $$$, the problem will be finding the correct wheels without buying genuine Ariens parts, since they are so expensive.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Smolenski7 thanked for this post
post #5 of 19 Old 12-18-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Chrisexv6.

So, basically what you are saying is that I have this wheel.

However, I need this wheel which I found on Partstree.com from a 24" Platinum with auto-turn. Both are 15" x 5" wheels. Unfortunately, you are right about the cost, for both a left and right wheel, it would run about $200. Combine that with the conversion kit and the whole project would run in the neighborhood of $400. A little steep, however, if I can find the wheels on the cheap, it will make the whole thing back to reality.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7 View Post
Thanks Chrisexv6.

So, basically what you are saying is that I have this wheel.

However, I need this wheel which I found on Partstree.com from a 24" Platinum with auto-turn. Both are 15" x 5" wheels. Unfortunately, you are right about the cost, for both a left and right wheel, it would run about $200. Combine that with the conversion kit and the whole project would run in the neighborhood of $400. A little steep, however, if I can find the wheels on the cheap, it will make the whole thing back to reality.
If the conversion kit is listed for your model, then yes, it looks like all thats needed are the wheels and maybe some other small parts like the wheel keys, some shims/spacers/washers like I needed, etc.

Im not sure where I found it, but at one point I saw the models that the conversion kit was meant for. You mentioned you have a ST924LE...do you have the actual part/model number (like 926.something). That might help cross ref to see if the kit is valid.

-Chris
post #7 of 19 Old 12-18-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I purchased my machine back in November of 2011. It is model: 921031.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-19-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
As far as I can tell from the installation instructions, the auto-turn kit is only for the models that start with 926.

However, does anyone have any real world experience with installation of the kit on another unit? Or, can anyone tell me why it cannot be installed on my 24" Deluxe (921031).
post #9 of 19 Old 12-19-2016, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
The thing I would worry about in going to a taller tire is the effect it would have on the bucket angle - scraper blade etc? Seems like you would want to stay at current size? Maybe Chris can share what he found out on that....?

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-19-2016, 05:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I honestly didnt even think about what the larger diameter would do to the unit overall. Im guessing it would lift it 1/2" or 1" (either the extra radius or the extra diameter of the larger tire/wheel). If 1/2", its probably easily tuneable with dropping the scraper, but 1" might be pushing it.

As far as the kit working or not with the 921, Im not sure. I took a quick look at the partstree diagrams for your model vs mine and the first thing that sticks out is that the pinion shaft is different between them. Im not sure what the differences are, but its possible the 921 is a smaller diameter shaft, in which case the replacement that comes in the Auto Turn kit is too large.

EDIT: There are pics of the pinion shafts for both models on eReplacementparts, and the 921 shaft looks like the same diameter but is probably 1.5 or 2" shorter than the 926 model. That might make sense, as I imagine Ariens has a compact-type frame and a larger-type frame for the wider "cut" blowers. That might be why the kit is not speced to fit a 921 series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page