post #1 of 3 Old 12-18-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
cha

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auto Turn Tips/Tricks?

Reading the different auto turn posts on the forum, I'm curious if the users who like auto turn can comment on any tips/tricks that can help those of us who are having a difficult time with the auto turn feature.

I've only used mine twice, Ariens Deluxe 28", so I still have some learning to do. Was using an MTD single stage prior to that.

Sounds like most users are upgrading to the poly skids. I have my poly skids ordered and am waiting for them to arrive. I added chains to mine since I was having traction issues in packed snow. It doesn't seem to have hurt my ability to keep it going straight--it still pulls me left and right, equally so in each direction.

What gear are you running when using auto turn? For long slow turns I assume most of you are running in 6th speed.

What gear are you running when you need to make a short 90 or 180 degree turn?

For a straight driveway, are most of you making short 180 degree turns to run up each row side by side or are you doing long curves at each end?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 133
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 286
Likes (Received): 146
While I did have some minor "wandering" with the stock, metal skid shoes, that pretty much went away after switching to the poly skids. Keep in mind that I do very little clearing on smooth surfaces, maybe 5 %, the rest is either lawn areas or gravel & dirt.

Because of all of the uneven surfaces and the transitions from lawn to driveway / parking area, two track type drive sections (humped up grass middle) I only ran the poly skids for a short period of time before switching over to Armor Skids, which have served me well and allow me to do what I do without very many "hang ups." The design of the Armor Skids are, to me, the best thing since sliced bread. I'm specifically referring to the type with a narrower tip on one end that, for all but the hardest packed drifts, addressed "drift climbing" issues that I was having with the older, same end width, type of Armor Skid.

A little over a week ago I prepped my 2014 Ariens Platinum 24 SHO for the season but didn't bother to check my tire pressure because one of our son's had my air compressor. I dealt with about 10-inches of snow, as well as some drifting issues on our 200 yd long driveway and did notice a little pulling to the left from time to time. I also run chains, which helps in dealing with the residual snow that builds up by having my scraper bar adjusted at 5/8" for some areas, but do adjust down to lower heights at least once, usually twice, when doing a full clean up.

When I got my compressor back I checked the tire pressures and found the left tire was 12.5 lbs. and the right at 13.5 lbs. I evened them up at 16.5 lbs. and the pulling to the left disappeared. It seems that even one pound of difference between the two may have an effect, which makes me glad that I use a digital air pressure gauge that allows me to dial in my pressures better.

I make all types of turns, short, wide, and everything in between due to my varied conditions where I have to go around flower beds, porches, trees, protruding tree roots, which are fun to keep track of, as well as "tucked in" areas where I have to make short runs to work the snow out so it can be moved to where I eventually want it, and where the wind lets me put it.

The area, as well as the snow depth, dictates what gear I'm in and the turns I have to make so I've found no magic way to make turns, other than to overshoot my turn around point a little and make a short, tight, looping 180, instead of a quick, pivot, 180 and even deep snow can make that a creative process. For some of my runs I will, at times, create turn around lanes at the ends before doing the runs proper.

The bottom line for me is that my snow removal is somewhat like playing chess. While I try to go in with a plan, based on the wind, things just develop as I go.

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #3 of 3 Old 12-19-2016, 01:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
Years ago when the auto turn came out I had a hard time keeping it in a straight line down my paved driveway. There wasn't a lot of info out there. Well I liked the machine otherwise so I thought of a way to make the shovel up front slide easier.

I came up with wheels.

It fixed the auto turn and an added bonus is the skids don't wear out any longer. The wiper strip inside the shovel never needs adjustments either.

I done it to my new pro 36 a few weeks ago. That review is up on the youtube channel as well.

Here is the link

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page