post #1 of 31 Old 12-10-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Crack next to spark plug hole

Hi All

Very unhappy right now!!!! I bought a new Deluxe 24 last fall and it worked very well and was pleased with the machine until I did some maintenance on it. When I put the machine away last spring I removed the spark plug to fog the motor and when I was removing the plug I noticed it felt strange when it was threading out, I noticed that the area where the plug is that the valve cover is so close to this area that my spark plug socket was rubbing against it and I figured that was the problem. So I fogged the motor and put my plug back in by hand first so as to not cross thread the cylinder head and than used my socket to tighten to torque specs. Well when I pulled my plug out to check the plug gap today, I had the same issue while removing it. I looked in the cylinder head and saw that the threads for the plug were stripped about 3/16 of an inch in and there is no way to get my plug back in.

I have changed plugs on allot of motors before, and I am always careful to thread the plug in first by hand than use a socket. I think that the Ariens dealer who did the pre - sale work on the blower must of cross threaded the cylinder head and sold it to me that way. I think I am going to have a hard time to convince them that it was nothing that I did, and they are probably going to deny any responsibility.

So if I can't get them to repair this for me, what do you suggest I do? Should I try going straight to Ariens or try and fix this with a heli coil. I did notice that pieces of the stripped threads came out with the plug so not sure if I need to do anything else to motor except change motor oil which I just did prior to the spark plug mess and hope that all pieces of threads comes out with it. Sorry for the long post but figured I needed to give a good explanation before asking for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
I vote for heli coil if the dealer gives you the bums rush
post #3 of 31 Old 12-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
threaten to take the story to the news, "ariens dealer scams local customer" watch them apologize and fix it for free
post #4 of 31 Old 12-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 111
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
I doubt that the dealer would remove and replace the spark plug, just no reason to do that. So I would go easy on the dealer. That leaves Ariens responsible for the plug installation through their engine manufacturer LCT of your AX engine.

Ariens has a great reputation for customer service and honest dealings. I would talk to your dealer about your findings and see what happens.

Ariens advises checking and replacing the spark plug when the engine is cool, which you did not say in your story.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 31 Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I doubt that the dealer would remove and replace the spark plug, just no reason to do that. So I would go easy on the dealer.
Agree that there would be no reason for the dealer to remove a spark plug on a new engine.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-10-2016, 09:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Timesert

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

96 Mustang - Race car
2005 Mustang - Daily Driver
15 Grand Cherokee Altitude - Mall Crawler
2007 Anderson Open Deck 19ft Trailer
1998 828D John Deere
1996 828D John Deere
2015 D110 John deere
ST724 Ariens not sure of year
1978 Ariens 924000
1964 10ML60D
post #7 of 31 Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. You are probably correct that the dealer is not at fault. As far as removing the plug while engine was hot: No I did not do this, the engine was cold and was not started for weeks. I know that aluminum heads expand when hot and this would make the removal of the plug difficult. Another reason I believe now that it must be a manufacturing default is because after closer inspection I noticed a 1/8 of an inch hair line crack extending out from the edge of the spark plug hole. That had to happen at the factory so I will be contacting my dealer first thing Monday and hope that they can resolve this issue. I have the extended 5 year warranty that Ariens was offering last fall so I hope that they can fix this for me quickly. I will post again when I have this problem fixed, in case anyone else has this issue they will know what to do.

Thanks
post #8 of 31 Old 12-11-2016, 04:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
I think it's a Briggs problem. I doubt the dealer would have removed the plug. Nicely tell your dealer about it and maybe they can get briggs to give you another head for it.
post #9 of 31 Old 12-18-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Crack inext to spark plug hole

Hi All

I posted a week ago about problems with my new Deluxe 24 that I bought last year, with bad threads in the spark plug hole of the cylinder head and having trouble removing/installing plug for first time. I also posted that after closer inspection I noticed a small crack next to spark plug hole. I mentioned that I will be bringing this into my dealer for Warranty repair and this is what happened when I dropped it off.
They said that the technician would determine if this would be a warranty issue or not and if not I would have to pay to fix it. I replied " Why would this not be a warranty issue when this was a bad spark plug install and or manufacturing issue from day one, and than I explained to them that it was not something I did and I have removed and reinstalled countless spark plugs in motors without this happening.

They again said that the Technician will determine this and we will only be able to look at the machine in 2 to 3 weeks. So now I have to wait for the technician to say to me that either I am lying and I did this damage or that he will get Ariens to fix it under warranty, which will take awhile for parts to come in. So now with 3 snowfalls since than I am back to clearing my driveway with a shovel again. Not good customer service in my mind. I realize that they are the only warranty dealer in my city and they also repair all makes of snow blowers but one would think that since I bought it from them and that they are an Ariens Dealer, that I would at least have a little better service than what I received.
post #10 of 31 Old 12-18-2016, 02:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
not even offer to let you have a loaner until it's settled? Humpf! Well - see what they end up doing before jumping to conclusions I guess, but I certainly wouldn't do business with them from here on out.....

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page