LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Buying my first Ariens?

Saw an ad for an Ariens 8HP 24" blower, supposed to work fine plus has the manuals and it's within my comfort range on price ($50). Guy gave me a model number of 005498 but that doesn't look right to me, so we'll see what it actually is if I get it. He's using a neighbor kid to plow his drive now so doesn't need it any more and his wife wants it out of the garage.

I'm going to look at it tonight and see if it's 'right' or not. After 10 Craftsmans I've bought to rebuild the last year, this is the first Ariens so we'll see if it comes home or not.

I'm still putzing with that last 10hp 32" 3 stage Craftsman so this will probably go into the queue for the next rebuild if all is as represented. I'm having problems finding the right Craftsmans for the right price so looks like I'll have to branch out a little or quit rebuilding blowers. Wish me luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 68
Really can't go wrong for 50 bucks if it runs and is not rusted out.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
$50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Really can't go wrong for 50 bucks if it runs and is not rusted out.
If it's got a working 8 HP, should be worth that much. Paid that much for that non-running 10-32" and that one has taken alot of work, but it did come with a working electric starter.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
That sounds more like a serial number than a model number. Model number should be 924xxx or 932xxx. Also, sometimes the Ariens have one model number for the tractor assembly on the back and another model number for the blower on the side of the "barrel".

As you say though, $50 for something that works is a good deal.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Picture

Going to get this one tonight:

Sure looks like it has an electric starter to boot!

Got another response on another 8 HP - haven't seen a picture on it yet, said it's got a little rust and will take $20 for it. Going on that one tomorrow.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That looks like a 924024 / 924026, great machine. Same thing I have. There is a pin lock on the left wheel that will let you lock the axle or open the differential and allow it to pivot with no effort.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
That looks like a 924024 / 924026, great machine.
Give that man a cigar - it's a 924026 tractor unit with a 924028 auger unit. Harley (the guy I bought it from) was a real card. I asked about the starter plug being taped off, he seemed to remember that something broke or fell out of it before he retired 16 years ago and he just rope started it instead of fixing it, mainly because he could easily pull start it. I hope I'm as spry as he is at 82+.
This thing is as close to original as I think I'll ever see.
Here's the auger with original paint:

Here's another shot in the truck (I will have to clean the oily dirt off the outside of it)

Harley had to show everything worked fine before he'd sell it to me. He also showed me 'the trick' on how to get it start on the first pull or two. Well he lied, it hadn't been run since last year and it took him 3 pulls
He also said it leaked gas at times if you left the gas line turned on when it wasn't being used. I saw it blowing gas out the carb when he primed it to show me how to start it.

All I've had time to do is a quick once over, but from what I can see - it needs a carb kit. There's a couple of rubbed areas in the paint on the auger and I'm not sure about the wire sticking out of the carb cover that apparently works the choke.

It came with an engine manual along with a complete parts list. Based on his list, looks like since he bought it new he'd replaced a couple of belts and shearpins and a new scraper bar just because.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
My HM80 just had a wire with a finger loop that looked like a heychain that slid on the side of the recoil cover too for the choke.

Looks like a great deal though. Bet you will love it. Remember to investigate the pin lock on the left wheel as can be seen in your bottom picture. I always saw the differential and easy steer as more of a gimmick. Then I used one of these style blowers and don't want a locked axle ever again.

The only bad thing I can see is you managed to get one with the straight crank for the chute instead of the U-joints that bring the crank handle up top with the rest of the controls.

I see you have a new fuel tank and new skid shoes too. The older style tanks were white and less rounded. The OEM skid shoes were one sided I believe.

Check the bushings on the outer edges if the auger rake shafts and of course the wheel axle bushings for play. If you pop open the bottom cover you will probably find the sprocket gear with the chains has worn out bushings as well.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Info

Shyrp

Appreciate the info. This one will queue up after I get that 10-32 finished. I really don't expect alot of issues with it, based on what I've seen so far but I'll go through it from top to bottom.

Who knows, this may be a keeper
post #10 of 19 Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Raining Ariens

Guess when it rains Ariens, it pours.
Got an email back on another one today, for $20 I'm going to see about getting this one tonight.

Suppose to be a 8 HP, don't have alot of other details on it so we'll see

I think I may have caught my limit for now - running out of space in the shed to store them. Still have 5 in the shed before adding these. Got a 10-32 to finish off, a 5-22 that needs some minor tweaking, looking for an electric starter for a 7 HP and now these 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	577   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	578   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	579  

Last edited by HCBPH; 04-24-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page